• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TH7II and NW 2.26 GHZ - does it work ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tammtamm

Registered
Ok i´ve a question: I´ve got a 2.26 GHZ Northwood, working on a new Asus P4T533-C. But the performance and the overclockingfeatures are very dissapointed. Now I would change to Abit´s TH7II. The problem i think is, that the chipset of the Board is just only the i850 (without "e").
Is the compability also there and what´s the best BIOS-Version (perhaps the latest official BIOS: TH7H7C) for this Board in addition with the new P4 CPU´s

Sorry for my bad english

tammtamm, your English is fine and certainly infinitly better than my German.

The latest Bios offered by Abit (ver 7C) is considered to be very good. I do not believe it allows for extended voltages but many of the posts here seem to consistently report about its excellent stability.

Oh thank you very much (my probs with the english-language).

Ok, but what´s with the compability (TH7II with BIOS 7C and 533 P4 Northwoods).

Th711 and 2.26b

The Abit Th711 can be used with the 2.26b use Mr. Naturals bios 7e just do a search and you can find it. Mr. Naturals bios alows the th711 to be compatable with the new 533 chips. Memeory is another problem. The board doesnt really work well with the new 1066 Rdram. It is better to use Samsung PC800 16 Device Rdram and overclock it. If you need more voltage you can do the wire trick and get more voltage it is really easy. I think the way to go with the 2.26b is to avoid the Th711 because of the problems with the new memory. I am going to go with the 2.26b and the new Pt4533 which has an fsb of 200. 4200 Rdram comes with it. It has a pci/agp lock feature too. I am going with good air cooling with the AlphaPal 8942 with a vantec fan or panaflo fan to keep the noise down. I think I will have no problem hitting 3ghz on air and with excellent memory bandwidth.

the Northwoods with 533 are working with the official 7c too (tested Mr. N´s 7e and ABIT´s 7c - no difference between performance and stability). In Mr. N´s BIOS file is a option called "spread spectrum modulate" (in SoftMenuIII). For what is it good for ?

I currently have a 2260@2600MHz running on a TH7II with the official 7C BIOS, no mods to the board. Memory's @ 3x bus, it runs stable up to a speed of 500MHz. Going to try some new PC1066 RDRAM as soon as it arrives :)

To sum it all up...a 2,26GHz Northwood runs fine on a TH7II

Last edited:
Caution on using 1066 Rdram with Th711

I would not use the new 1066 Rdram on the Th711 it is too much hassle to get it to work if it does at all. The only real Rdram that works well with this board is the PC800 45 NS 16 device and you can get it at googlegear. It usually overclocks to 1066 or beyond anyways.

i wouldn´t say this. the kingston PC1066 ecc works fine with my board... - but i think it´s time for mr. natural to fix the problem with the rimms (there´s a new bios needed...)

1066 Rdram

Well I have to admit it may work in some boards but I have not found this to be the case. I don't want to buy a board that may work I want one that does work. I agree a new bios is needed if that would help fix this problem I don't know if would help since Abit refuses to update the board with better DCRGs and make it work with the 1066 Rdram. I think Abit is missing the boat on this one and people with just buy a new I850E board like the Pt4533 to avoid all this hassle. If Abit does not come out with a board in about a month this is what I am going to buy with the optically shrunk 2.26b. I dont feel like waiting to Christmas for a $650 dollars 3ghz chip and double ddr board when I can have almost the same speed now. Tell me what you think?

The first thing i´ve to say is, that i´ve had a ASUS P4T533-C with the same RIMMS (Kingston PC1066-ECC). And I know that the performance of the ASUS-board is very dissapointed!!! In my second machine works the IT7MAX and the performance for example in 3dmark is higher than the ASUS-Rambus Board (with the same settings). I think ABIT wouldn´t go to the i850e, because the difference and also the performance is nearly the same. The i850 on the th7ii works fine with the 533NW, so why should they create a new board ?
The only thing i can say is: I´m very happy with my th7ii - the performance and very important for me, stability, is great.

Back