• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Dragon+ ARG!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DancesWithCows

Registered
Well as I was attaching the heatsink after cleaning my whole system up a bit the screw (Of course!) just HAD to slip. Now when I tossed everything back on in the system and started her up, the desktop froze upon drawing for the first time. I had some horros as i had though that perhaps something happened to my new ge force 4 ti 4600. After a few more reboots the problem persisted. So I swapped the card out with a PCI voodoo 4. still the error persisted. I then figured the motherboard had been damaged. I let it sit for the night to do some thinking. Upon the next day, when i turned it on....i got nothing. The case fans and the delta fan on the heatsink started up along with all LED's but nothing else happened. No post or anything. I reset the CMOS and did everything else I could think of. Could this be a dead chip? or is it definetly the motherboard? Thank you in advance everyone for any help given. I am considering just getting a new motherboard and taking advantage of the VIA KT333 chipset.

System specs:
AMD XP 1800 (locked still)
Thermalright sk-6 w/ 7000rpm delta fan
soyo dragon+
256mb pc2100 micron ram
geforce 4 ti 4600 128mb
350w enermax PSU
linksys NIC
30gig Western Digital Hard drive

Is the bios reading the spead of the cpu? it will either read it as a 1800+ or a 1200.

depending on the fsb 100/133

First, check all your cables and connections. You may just need to reseat something. Some of those AGP cards need a lot of insertion force.

If you still think you did something to the motherboard, do your best to get your mobo out of the case and look at the area where you 'slipped' and examine it closely under a bright light and magnification. If you can find any scratching across some traces, you might be able to fix it with trace tape or conductive pen. If you bumped a capacitor or some other non-surface mount component, you might be able to solder a new one in.

If your warantee is already shot by the damage you did, you can't do any worse for trying to fix it.

Good luck, and sorry about your board. Even the best of us slip every once in a while while installing things like heat sinks or mounting mobo's. I dropped a 2 lb. hunk of copper Millenium Glaciator onto a mobo before even getting it mounted. I was holding my breath a long time on that one. Luckily, no damage occured, but could have easily...

BTW: I noticed that you installed another NIC on top of the on-board ethernet connection on your Dragon+. Are you using both, or did you disable the on-board lan? If you disabled it, why?

Thank you

Well I did check everything about 4 times at least so far. And as for reading the cpu speed on the bios, well I cannot even get INTO the bios. Only thing that happens when I hit the power button is the fans go on. Thats it. I already plan to get a new mobo with the VIA kt333 chipset. I intend to get a 512mb stick of corsair XMS ddr 333 memory to go with it. :D As for using the NIC. well I had the linksys nic and I am not one to let things just lay around collecting dust :D so I slapped it on in there. Really none of them are being used as I just moved and I have yet to setup my internet connection. I am still "shopping around" so to speak. But thank you for all your help guys. I am almost certain the motherboard is the culprit in this one.

Check it again

Try checking the power switch, HDD led, reset, and speaker switch connections....you know..the ones near the front of the motherboard. Every once in a while when putting them in youll screw it up and won't get a post

I had similar problems, and It fixed it self, after I tried a different power supply then went back to the one I thought was broken. Anyway, try unplugging the power supply and plugging it back in then boot up, see if it posts.

afraid not

Well I am afraid that I have tried that...several times. I have taken the computer apart totally many many times...reseated everything...changed out almost EVERY component. and Still no post. I have already as of this morning ordered a new motherboard. Specifically the Abit KR7A-RAID board. I thought about getting a board with the new VIA KT333 chipset but as of yet no board really impresses me much. So in any case thanks for all the help guys, I really do appreciate it. :beer:

Conclusion

Well i recieve my new abit kr7a+raid mobo in the mail today and guess what folks....NO GO!!! LOL yuppers...seems after all the cpu was indeed fried. I took the chip to yet another mobo and checked just to make TOTALY sure but it does seem to be the chip. So now I have a really cool looking AmdXP 1800 keychain LMAO. Aaaaaaah well. I think what happened was the old heatsink sitting slightly on the socket routine, so I was not making complete concact and thus overheated the chip. Well live and learn. So now to get a new chip and see how well I can overclock the Kr7a board or weather I stick to the soyo dragon plus board. Either way it sure was a learning experiance. Thanks for all the help guys in any case!

Back