• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PCI vs AGP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Billvill

I would appreciate feedback on the above title. In that it is time for a new video card , I would welcome experienced comments.

Just for information I overclock and rum the FSB at 136. I am looking for a card that will be good for gaming.

Thanks Billy

I would choose a AGP without a doubt.. if you state your budget we may even be able to suggest cards to fit your price range

pci if you dont have an agp slot but definatly agp cause the bus speed in the agp is 66 mghz and the pci is only 33 also you cant have 2x or 4x with pci it only does 1x i hope this answers your question.

Thanks for all the positive feedback ! My new Iwill KA266 has an agp slot and now I will research a video card a little further. I am leaning towards a voodoo 5. I know the company is out of business but I have to believe there are enough people using them to have support for at least a few years.

Why choose an overpriced card? It even doesn't have true T&L. It doesn't take advantage of the AGP bus.
GeForce or Radeon are MUCH better.
They're even cheaper, if you don't get the top of the line with all the unnecessary gimmicks.

Just my 2 pennies.

asmodean (Jun 19, 2001 04:58 a.m.):
Why choose an overpriced card? It even doesn't have true T&L. It doesn't take advantage of the AGP bus.
They're even cheaper, if you don't get the top of the line with all the unnecessary gimmicks.

Just my 2 pennies.

it dosen`t realy make that much of a diff having hardware T&L or not if u have a +1gig system..
OH he dosen`t have a +1gig system....

GOD....

I have a geforce 2 mx and am very happy with it. I can play any game I want with no problems what so ever. I was a hard core voodoo fan before they went out and had a hard time switching but i'm glad I went to Nvidia, they make great cards and I believe no voodoo can even touch my GeForce card. go with a GeForce 2 MX and you will be pleased.

GOD (Jun 19, 2001 05:16 a.m.):

Just my 2 pennies.

it dosen`t realy make that much of a diff having hardware T&L or not if u have a +1gig system..

GOD....

I don't think the Voodoo 5 is overpriced. Because 3dfx is no longer in operation, I can buy a boat load of them for about $67.00 each. That is one of the pro's to the selection of that card.

Billy

Billvill (Jun 19, 2001 04:37 p.m.):
GOD (Jun 19, 2001 05:16 a.m.):

Just my 2 pennies.

GOD....

I don't think the Voodoo 5 is overpriced. Because 3dfx is no longer in operation, I can buy a boat load of them for about $67.00 each. That is one of the pro's to the selection of that card.

Billy
i had the voodoo5 for a while and it worked great i traded mine in for the radeon 64meg ddr but my friend still runs his on a t-bird 1200 and his card almost never needs to be set up specifically for a game unlike my radeon thats a big plus if you never want to play with your card.i also have been through 2 gforce 2mx's 32 meg i loved that card it was super fast way faster than the voodoo and nice graphics but i dont think that the quality of the gforce 2mx graphics beats the voodoo,and you only need so many frames per second to achieve a great driving game thus buying a voodoo for a nice cheap price is not that wrong the card supports so many games you dont have to worry about support for the card just yet.hope this helps you decide.

Just my 2 pennies.

Read specifically post number 37 of this thread.......

Considering the price of the 5500 (as he said $67) how do you consider them over priced when they are less than 1/2 the price of the G2.

Pay particular attention to the mention of UT looking NOT as nice as the VooDoo produced, and the fact that I will probably change back to the 5500 if I don't get results at least as good as it produced. I'll eventually go up to the G3 when the price comes down to reasonable, but there's no question one card is more a trade off of features than better features.

Man ohhh Man ! How do you keep up with the Ge Force line ???? They have about a thousand models !!!!! There is the Ultra , the Mx2 The Mx 3 and I read about at least a dozen more . If I am not mistaken I saw one advertised as lubricated and having a reservoir tip ! If nothing else I hate a company that wants to confuse me.

Like the line says " Doc, give it to me straight " Now that I have solved the PCI / AGP issue. I am going with AGP for sure.

Not that I am a tight wad but as you can see I went for the $50.00 dollar processor in the 650 Tbird and have never been happier. Now all I need to decide with respect to the video card is 32 meg / 64 meg / 128 meg ddr or non ddr / as I see it that's about all the choices. Now all I need to decide is the best bang for the buck.

LOL / Billy

DDR seems to be the next step from what I've seen around here. However anything with DDR on it is almost double the price.

I'm still having problems with this GTS, and I was very satisfied with the 5500, however for the trade offer I could hardly refuse to extend my "outdated" status on video land.

As far as the res tip.........don't bother, it's a sales gimmick. Get the cinnamon flavored. HOT HOT HOT! =)

Well, Voodoo is overpriced, atleast here.
As Fusion pointed out in the thread mentioned by Shadow, Voodoo DOESN'T have an acceptable OpenGL implementation. GeForce has. And I think Radeon has too. And the memory in V5 5500 (2 chips) is split between those... Haha, 64Mb memory, no way. Dunno about the 4500 version, if it has only 1 chip, it propably is slower than a TNT2.

<edit> If you decide to go with GF2MX, don't get the DDR. It's actually bit (mmm... about 0.01fps or so) slower than the SDR version. The DDR bus is half the width of the SDR bus in MX. SDR-bus is 128bit and DDR-bus is 64bit. And the price goes up by atleast $20, I bet.

Shadow ÒÓ (Jun 20, 2001 02:13 a.m.):
DDR seems to be the next step from what I've seen around here. However anything with DDR on it is almost double the price.

I'm still having problems with this GTS, and I was very satisfied with the 5500, however for the trade offer I could hardly refuse to extend my "outdated" status on video land.

As far as the res tip.........don't bother, it's a sales gimmick. Get the cinnamon flavored. HOT HOT HOT! =)

I do need to ask this, and this is going to sound blasphemous, but here goes...

If voodoo was so damn good, why was Nvidia able to buy them out? What about the Nvidia line sells and caused voodoo to go belly up?.. this is beginning to sound like the AMD / Intel debate on the other threads... One beats the other, and until time wears all the Voodoo and Intel chips down, we're still going to have people 'stuck' with their old hardware (like me), and because of budget (like me) and fear (of change, unlike me) considerations, the rest of us teetering on the cutting edge have to listen to all this whining... and me whining about all this whining...

You Voodoo die hards need to buy back the patent and prove your cards can be superior, because right now, they flat out stink in comparison.

**Shadow, I like strawberry... ribbed.

oh yeah, and...

Narf!

Can't say I will get into the politics of 3DFX's fate, cause I really don't know.

From what I understand they were doomed if they didn't produce a new generation of cards (the VooDoo 6) but somehow failed to do it.

From what I also understand, if they would have waited any longer, they would've started losing serious value of the company as NVidia was about to blow past them anyway.

I still like the quality of the 5500, and had 3DFX been able to survive, I think eventually they would've produced a competitive card and helped keep vid card prices down with competition.

*ever try Vanilla?*

www.pricewatch,com shows the voodoo 5 for $89.00 today and they are all over ebay I would be careful about buying it on ebay.

Billy

Go with the GeForce 2 MX, Bill. GeForce doesn't try to confuse it's customers, it tries to give them the most options for each price range. That's why they have so many different models. I love GeForce. I've never heard anyone complain about them, and I don't think I will. Give them a shot.

Back