• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xbox power supply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

grim

does anybody know how many watts the power supply in xbox is? i am going to make my own case for it and i was going to add a cold cathode and a couple of fans but i dont know if it has enough power.

grim said:
does anybody know how many watts the power supply in xbox is? i am going to make my own case for it and i was going to add a cold cathode and a couple of fans but i dont know if it has enough power.
I would imagine it should say some where on the xbox its self how many watts.. I think its required by law on all electrical devices (if not it will say on the PSU)...

Re: Re: xbox power supply

rUfUnKy said:
I would imagine it should say some where on the xbox its self how many watts.. I think its required by law on all electrical devices (if not it will say on the PSU)...

They're only required to list Volts and Amps, and I can't remember how to get Wattage from those two numbers.

P = I * V

P = power measured in watts
I = current in amps
V = voltage in... volts

so yeah... just multiply the two and you should get the right number.

well considering that microsoft went all out on the x-box hardware wise. I think it would be a safe bet that the powersupply is beefy aswell.

well i finally found my xbox owner's manual after an hour or so of searching through the mess of my room. it turns out that the psu is only 100 watts!!! well that sucks. does anybody know how i can add an auxiliary power source for my cathode and fans?

as i've never owned an x-box nor have i ever seen the insdies of it, this is pure speculation. but from what i hear, it's pretty much a slightly modified PC on the inside. is there any chance you can just swap the PSU for a standard PC one? i think connectivity with the insides would be the only thing to worry about since you're planning on switching cases and space won't be an issue.

yea that is a good idea. i guess i would need to open it up and see if microsoft used standard connections

How come you want to put in more fans.....I mean its not like your overclocking it or anything. (Neons are cool though:D)

H4deS said:
How come you want to put in more fans.....I mean its not like your overclocking it or anything. (Neons are cool though:D)

the xbox can overheat sometimes after being on for a long time. i dont want to have to worry about that.

haha. plus it's case modding which is cool. i mean why do you mod pc cases? because it's fun. so why not an xbox? it's basically a pc thrown into a black plastic box. :cool:

So, I realize it's been almost 15 YEARS since someone last posted on thread, and two console gens have passed since. I like going through old threads like this. Are any of the original posters still online and want to talk about this?

Back