• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI 128Pro or Voodoo3 2000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

domstar

I recentley destroyed my Gefroce 2 as you may have read prviuosly in these forums. im now looking for a cheap replacemnt that i can overclock a little .Im running a Duron 1GIG at 1.3 with 224MB of SDRAM. both of these cards are 16MB.so whcih to choose?which is the better card and which is more overclockable?
THX again guys
Dom

PS-need a BIOS upgrade but i cant find a specific one for my mobo-it is a CT-7AJA.

either card isn't going to give you much. sure you can't afford 56 bucks for a gf2 mx400?

edit... just saw you were in the uk

I had a Geforce 2 before and i didnt think much of it. I am only goin to use this card as a provisional for the time being untill i can buy something beter. i need a card as im havein to run CS in software renderer.
Dom

domstar said:
I had a Geforce 2 before and i didnt think much of it.

the geforce 2 series is still very capable on most of todays games.

i play rtcw with excellent frame rates (60-90) and i don't even have ddr video memory.

What are the Geforce 2 GTS like.Im considering buying a 32MB Geforce2 DDR card. Are they any good?
Dominic

if you are looking into gf2 gts cards... i'd suggest you look at 1time's deal in the video card classifieds... he's selling gf3 ti200s for 70 bucks. hell of a deal.

Ive got an Xpert 128 which is a 16mb ATI card...I have it working as the card for my second monitor. Works just fine, havent had any problems with it. I had this card in a p3 600 and it managed to play Jedi Knight 2 and RTCW without any problems. This card was $35 and for the price it does just fine.

IHateStupidPPL said:
I had this card in a p3 600 and it managed to play Jedi Knight 2 and RTCW without any problems.

i refuse to believe this... unless your version of "without any problems" means you got 10 fps and were still able to drag through the game. there is no way thats enough power to run rtcw at anything over 800x600 (which that would be pretty sad as well)

get whichever is cheaper, but i would have to agree that a Geforce2 (except the MX200) would give you QUITE a boost...

Maxvla said:

i refuse to believe this... unless your version of "without any problems" means you got 10 fps and were still able to drag through the game. there is no way thats enough power to run rtcw at anything over 800x600 (which that would be pretty sad as well)

If you dont want to believe it thats your own issue. It ran fine, I had no problems whatsoever. Maps did take awhile to download but gameplay was perfectly smooth. Feel free to PM tatics(my roomate) if you want further conformation.

A V3 is faster, but like The Rock said- no XP drivers makes it pretty useless. The W2K drivers aren't so great IMHO, either.

A GTS is a very good card- I got mine overclocked pretty high and it has handled every game I have thrown at it so far with no problems. Plus it is cheap nowadays too :D

I know I believe it, as I ran the RTcW demo on my 300A@450/ Voodoo3 no problemo. 640x480 and low detail, true, but it ran at a good FPS and I enjoyed playing it. It's still based on Q3, after all! :D

Are ATI 2000XPERT 32MB any good? are they XP compatible?I mean i got drivers for it but are they as good in XP as they are in say 98? Is it a worthwhile consideration?
Dom

i loved my v3000 when i had it. i just replaced it a month ago. it overclocked to 200/200 easily. i thnk a v2000 should get around 170-180. ona p3 700 it ran quake 3 1024x768 full detail flawlessly. and what i liked most about it was stability, it ran everything.
but that was on win9x. and i guess if youre using xp there might be problems.

how much would these cards cost? decide how much you want to spend and how good of a card you need.

Maxvla said:

Some of us realize that a framerate above 38-48 FPS will earn you nothing but bragging rights, as the human eye cannot even see anything above that. Some of us also don't feel the need to play games at a high resolution. I personnally play at 800 X 600. The cards I have will do higher but I prefer to play at a lower resolution.

Gf3ti200 ????????????
70 dollars ????????????

I HATE THE UK !!!!!!!!!!!

anyone have a rough idea how much shipping would cost to the uk ? also do you have an rough price on a ti500 ???

dont get a ti500. the prices are i think around $150-200 for a card that is a tiny bit better than a ti200. gf3 oc limits are being reached low enough on the ti500 that the ti200 is very close.

a suggestion by me. take a look at a radeon 8500 for $95 at newegg.com . it was a super hot deal a month ago and still is. figure out what shipping to the uk would be and see if it would be worth it.

Back