• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KX7 Clock Ratio Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dickiebaird

Registered
Hi guys

Got a KX7 333 RAID board and running an AGOIA Athlon XP 1800+. I have a Geforce 3 Ti200 graphics card, and 512MB of RAM. ALL VERY WELL I HERE YOU SAY?!?! THINK AGAIN.

The ratio option in the Softmenu of my BIOS (and that of two othe collegues with similar hardware) must be set to 5:2:1, or the system freezes as soon as it sends traffic down the AGP bus. Also, you all may notice that PCI Master read caching does not work on this board - we have tested three and they all lockup!!

What's going on???? :confused:

OK

Abit KX7 333 RAID, 512MB (Two sticks of 256) PC2100 unregistered, AGOIA '9' stepping Athlon XP 1800+, Creative Geforce 3 Ti200.

Soft menu have tried every combination of settings and as soon as I switch to anything other than 5:2:1, I get freezes when AGP activity kicks in. Bear in mind my RAM is only PC2100, and this divisor is forcing it to 166Mhz!! OOOEEERRR!!!!

It runs OK on 5:2:1, and I've had my 1800+ running as a 2100+ no problem (by FSB), but I want to cool down and clock higher, so wanted to try some other settings. Another engineer from my work has a very similar combination of hardware (same board, chip, and VGA) and has the same problem. He also has a problem activating master read chaching, as well as two boards we benchmarked in work!!!!

Figure it out and you get an Action Man sticker and a Lolly!!!! :burn:

this may sound REALLY weird but try changing your video card drivers to 29.42 or whatever the latests are on the nvidia site. why you ask?

for me i was usin the 23.11's cause they give the best performance on the geforce 3 series. however for months i have been wonderin why in the world i couldnt set my ram to aggressive settings without gettin random reboots.

changed the drivers for the graphics cards and no more problem.

very weird huh?

I have tried everything except different manufactured hardware (I have used brand new hardware the same as mine). Every driver and EVERY SINGLE COMBINATION of BIOS setting has been changed (4 hours spent changing all BIOS settings one by one!!). I am thinking it is a problem with the KX7 and the Geforce 3 Ti200 - seems funny my collegue has the EXACT same issue????

Cheers for the advice, but got the T-Shirt I'm afraid!!!

Anyone know of hardware conflicts with the AGP addressing of the Geforce 3 Ti200 and the KX7?

hmm that sucks. from what i heard is that the gf3 ti200 takes up a lot of power. how is your powersupply? do you have a 400w+ one? if you have around 300w that might be your problem.

i know with the 8k3a epox you need to have driver version 23.11 installed to get it to run correctly. if you dont the card sucks up too much power from the board.

Cheers for the reply. Yes, I was on that track with the video card. I have tried changing to another AGP card (ATI Rage 128) and it seemed OK, although it is not a true test as the Rage only runs at 2x. I have tried every set of Nvidia drivers since the 23.10, and two different Geforce 3 ti200 cards.

It is looking likely that this is a conflict with this card and this board.

Anyone know a voltage mod for the KX7???

:D

Dickiebaird said:
Cheers for the reply. Yes, I was on that track with the video card. I have tried changing to another AGP card (ATI Rage 128) and it seemed OK, although it is not a true test as the Rage only runs at 2x. I have tried every set of Nvidia drivers since the 23.10, and two different Geforce 3 ti200 cards.

It is looking likely that this is a conflict with this card and this board.

Anyone know a voltage mod for the KX7???

:D

again, what about the PSU?

this board, an XP, and a gf3 eat A LOT of your +3.3 and +5v rails.
a lower wattage (like less than 350w) or a crap brand will do that.

i have troubleshooted many PC's, and have yet to find an actual defect on a mobo. My best guess is PSU, than vid card, than BIOS setting prob.

and u dont need to set the fsb or the mem ratio to 166, u can just set everything to 133 and 4:2:1.

good luck, post back with the bios settings. take pics and post em if u really want help, i know the BIOS inside and out on the KX7.
and there isnt an incompatibility with Ti200,s, see my specs in the sig.

edit: oh pin 7 to ground on the HIP6301 will give u up to 2.08, than u need to disable OVP to go higher.

check out Doctor's sticky in AMD mobo's, its the same mod as the KR7A (all flavors)

Thanks Malakai

Yes, I agree about the 'no fault comment'. I've tested a lot of MOBOs and rarely seen a defect - but I found this one a bit baffling!! Never really considered PSU because I got everything ramped up and overclocked using the 5:2:1 ratio, but now you've pointed it out, I'm only using a 320W!!!! Durgh!!!

I realise that about running at 133 and 4:2:1, but I just cannot get to it, only 5:2:1 works and so the RAM becomes 166 and cannot be altered. I need to change this PSU

Don't think it's a BIOS setting as I have spent hours changing them one by one - will stick with your siggestion and try PSU!!

Cheers :cool:

heres a setting that i know will kill stability:

1)leave APIC off in advanced bios options. it just doesnt work w/ my setup. it would freeze during the formatting of the HDD.

and what kind of PSU are u using? a lot of wierd probs come from a weak PSU.

FDUSMC said:
What would be the best ratio for stability 4:2:1 or 3:2:1? Also get random reboots but using the Geforce 2 GTS.

if the FSB is between 100 and 120, set the dividers to 3:2:1

if its between 120-155-160, than id say 4:2:1

and over 160, go with 5:2:1

and the 5:2:1 setting simply switches the PCI divider to 5, it doesnt affect the FSB, i checked this.

Thanks. When thing I noticed weird about my board was that I used to have an option of 3 frequency setting for memory; 100,133 and 166. Now I only have 2, 133 and 166. At one time when I was messing with bios I only had 1 which was 166. I cleared CMOS and got at least two back. WTF! My CPU-Z also reads my memory different now showing the excact frequency i.e. 166 or 133 with the FSB set at 133. Before it used to show 333 or 266 depending on the setting. Is my bios all jacked or what?

Back