• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to paint your drive face-plates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I used vinyl car interior dye spray paint but seemed to glossy for the IDE drive bezels and trays. The outside is flatblack. Do you think its not good to use flat paint? Because of the dust it can make? The drives look like **** the vinyl dye was glossy.

WOW thanks for this artice it is great painted all my drive face plates to match my blue chieftec case looks 100 times better!! great post!!!

whiteemcee said:
WOW thanks for this artice it is great painted all my drive face plates to match my blue chieftec case looks 100 times better!! great post!!!

You're welcome ;)

zabomb4163 said:
what about painting floppy (i'm cheap, lol)

Yep been there done that, my sister had me build her a computer and she wanted it to be all black. I had to come up with a comp for $600 w/ monitor so I could prove to her that she was better off than buying a Dell. I painted the bezel of the floppy drive jet black with car enamel... I left the door and button beige and it looks bad ***. Just make sure you pop out the little clear plastic cover for the LED... don't want to paint that!

LOL I did manage to take down the 48x Creative CD ROM trying to dissasemble it for painting, it was 3 years old though and had faded to a **** yellow sort of color. So to my credit I haven't blown any mobos or chips, but I have completely wrecked a CD ROM.

FYI - Complete computer $580:
17" NEC monitor
Athlon 1600+ XP Tt Volcano 6Cu
256 Mb Crucial 2100 (runs at 175, but don't tell her ;) )
Abit KG 20 Mobo
Radeon 7500 64Mb DDR
20 Gig WD 7200 RPM ATA100
16x12x32 CD-R
Black case, 7 fans total

What about color matching? How does one go about finding the paint and then making SURE it is the same color as the case???

Great guide Crown thanks for posting it.

Last edited:
Great guide, Cown. Very detailed and coherent. I think I will make one of my own for those of us who have airbrushes (me). I will finish modding my case as soon as I get back home (currently vacationing in colorado). I just don't know... I have two blue CCFLs... Should I make my case metallic blue or a glossy black with a blue trim?

-Wesley

Sweet, when I find the time ill defanetly do this for all my face plates. I've been using black Sharpy's to paint the face plates on my cdrom drives and it works surprisingly well if you put enough ink on, though one of these days ill use real paint...

great guide cown. i forewent the primer and sanding to retain the texture on the faceplates for my floppy and cd-r drive. FYI: testors model spray paint works great because it coats thin with good color coverage. and... 1246 (silver) matches the silver color on chieftec cases to a tee. my drives look like they were painted by chieftec.

i've pinted my case, and i found that using ordionary vaseline with a Q-Tip swabed carefully works WONDERS if u are wanting to keep the label, when your dun painting the case or drive, simply take damp paper towel and wipe it off!! =)

what kind of paint do you guys suggest using to match my bezels to the exact color of the silver chieftec case?

alinosa said:
FYI: testors model spray paint works great because it coats thin with good color coverage. and... 1246 (silver) matches the silver color on chieftec cases to a tee. my drives look like they were painted by chieftec.

Back