• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I overclock my GF2 Ultra core?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Len

Is there any point to overclocking the core on a LeadTek GF2 Ultra given the memory bottleneck issues of the GF2? The default core/DDR RAM is 250/460. I've already overclocked the RAM to 530 which resulted in a very nice boost in frame rates.

yes sir you should be able to push it a little further and you will gain SOME performance

BUT

not as much as overclocking the memmery

530 is a niuce overclock on a ultra card

=0

also dont know what kind of card it is and its cooling but if the cooling is decent then you should get 10 to 20 mhz more out the core

I would ask... why not?!

Nice memory OC, and I'm sure the card rocks. In all reality, the performance gain won't be that great with any tweaking since the GPU is about maxxed on those cards already (some overclock alright but encounter those bottleneck issues, so they didn't bother sticking chips that would overclock well on these boards, just the ones that would cut the mustard at default speeds).

Overclocking the memory from 460 to 500 is virtually a given since the memory on most Ultras is rated at 4ns which is good for 500 Mhz anyway. Nvidia just specified the spec at 460 on the Ultras since at the time 4ns RAM was a little rare and some Ultras were shipping with 4.4ns memory which is only rated for 460 Mhz.

So before you give me more credit than is due realize that I really only OVERclocked from 500 to 530 but I'm still please Leadtek was nice enough to give me 4ns memory :)

So what about someone like me with 3.8ns memory? What kind of mem speed should I be capable of?????

Froggy (Jun 27, 2001 07:47 p.m.):
So what about someone like me with 3.8ns memory? What kind of mem speed should I be capable of?????

You won't know until you try, that is determined by a lot of variables... give it a try and check back here.

Froggy (Jun 27, 2001 07:47 p.m.):

The formula is 1000/3.8ns = 263 Mhz * 2 for DDR = 526 Mhz.

You should be able to hit 526 Mhz easily and overclock from there.

Len (Jun 27, 2001 11:07 a.m.):
Is there any point to overclocking the core on a LeadTek GF2 Ultra given the memory bottleneck issues of the GF2? The default core/DDR RAM is 250/460. I've already overclocked the RAM to 530 which resulted in a very nice boost in frame rates.

If I were you, I really wouldn't bother. It will just generate more heat and shorten the life of the card, without giving you any noticeable increase in FPS (except maybe at 640).

That's sort of what I was thinking. And I don't need more heat. I already need 5 case fans + power supply fan to keep my case at room temp. 640x480? What's that :) Since building this new system I play most everything 1024 and above with 32 bit color. Q3 at 1280x1024 max everything, UT at 1600x1200 OpenGL hi-res textures & max everything. Gotta love the Tbird & Ultra. What a combo.

I think the heat increase is a lot less with memory overclocking. The Geforce core is very hot to start with and gets even hotter when pushed.

Memory overclocking is definitely worth it. Because memory bandwidth is the primary bottleneck in the GF2 architecture you will see a almost linear increase in frame rates as you increase the memory speed.

Len (Jun 28, 2001 09:01 a.m.):
I think the heat increase is a lot less with memory overclocking. The Geforce core is very hot to start with and gets even hotter when pushed.

Memory overclocking is definitely worth it. Because memory bandwidth is the primary bottleneck in the GF2 architecture you will see a almost linear increase in frame rates as you increase the memory speed.

Thank you very much for the info.

Froggy (Jun 28, 2001 03:26 a.m.):
How much heat will the memory overclock generate? IIs that not worth it either?

Probably almost nothing. But the memory actually makes a difference. You can actually UNDERclock your GF2 Ultra core without seeing any difference, so I question whether overclocking it is worth it. If he overclocks the core he's going to have to put a beefier heatsink on it. Overall it's just a lot more of a hassle.

Here's an idea though, try clocking your core up 10-15 MHz (not so much that you need extravagent cooling). If you see a noticeable increase at the resolutions you play, then go for it. If not, then just stick to memory only.

Back