• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Has anyone here ever used a PCI docsis cable modem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Silversinksam

Moderator/ Silver Paste Taster©
cable5001.jpg

Its CableLabs, and WHQL Approved and DOCSIS 1.0 compliant, DOCSIS 1.1 software upgradeable

I found one for $39 shipped and needed to know if anyone has any input on this:

Datasheet

Thanks in advance

Welll since nobody knew A friend that wrote the white papers for @Home wrote me this....

Hey Sam! How you doing buddy, well you know the
slowest connection on a cable BB net is the RJ45 cable
going from the modem to the PC, so it looks to me that
the 5100 looks very good. I am pretty sure that's the
future my friend.

I cant give personal experience on PCI cable modems....but I have to deal with PCI DSl modems on a daily basis. Every time I get a call from a customer with a PCI DSL modem I get this cold shiver through my spine.....they are worthless. Speeds are normally worse and you have to deal with drivers for the card.....just like any new device drivers are often issues. Much easier to have a ethernet modem(that you can network if you desire) and a network card(which has been around for so long that support is rarely needed). My advise would be to stear clear of PCI anything for broadband.

Silversinksam said:
Hey Sam! How you doing buddy, well you know the
slowest connection on a cable BB net is the RJ45 cable
going from the modem to the PC, so it looks to me that
the 5100 looks very good. I am pretty sure that's the
future my friend.

?

RJ45 is technically capable of speeds up to about 650 Mbs and generally rated at 100 Mbs. How is that the bottleneck in a 1.5 meg cable connection?

Kingslayer said:

?

RJ45 is technically capable of speeds up to about 650 Mbs and generally rated at 100 Mbs. How is that the bottleneck in a 1.5 meg cable connection?

Dont ask me I didnt write the White papers, but I'll send my buddy a link to this thread. ;)

Back