• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radeon 2 info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Crap right when I am thinking of getting a Radeon...hmm...I wonder if I could last with my voodoo3 from now till septemper...ugh

Heres what I would do Angry.. Just get a Radeon LE or Gefore MX to play with for now, they are 80 bucks or less.

That will get you going to at least Christmas, and at that point the Radeon 2 and maybe something better will be out, and the price would have dropped enough to cover the $80 card you buy today.

I would much rather have two cards to play with, and pay the same, than to wait till something is first released and pay much more for it.
Thats my line of thinking, and why I won't pay more than 130 or so for a Video Card.
AKDUDE

Found this over at Rage3d.com

ATI says R300 will be released before year ends - 12:27 pm EST - diesel [Comments (0)]
During today's conference call, ATI said the RADEON II has exceeded their expectations and is on target for a summer release. ATI also announced they will have a significant amount of new products to announce during the next few months and everything is on track. ATI plans to announce a new mobile chip and release the R3 (aka R300) before the calendar year ends.

The Inquirer has a new article on the R300:

R300 will feature a 350 MHz core that will be built with the help of a 0.15µ process at either TSMC or UMC where they like to "bake" their chips.
The internal peak of the chip will settle on 75 million triangles per second which will be just fine for future games and engines that will use more than 10000 polygons for characters.
The R300 will be able to render 4 pixels per clock and 2 textures per one cycle which gives 8 textures per pixel. This part is surprising as Radeon can do three textures per clock.

competition is always good for us consumers.

Glad to hear it, and it could even rock the geforce 3 now that they have someone to outperform.

I'm just gonna hold on to my Radeon 32 until the R300 comes out, then I'll get my friend at compusa to get one for me at cost. Provided it comes out before christmas I expect its price would drop a bit after the holidays.

Ah what the heck..Im gonan go ahead and get an Radeon 64 ddr Vivo and wait till the holidays to get the Radeon2.
Edit fixed spelling.

Angry (Jun 27, 2001 03:52 p.m.):
Ah what the heck..Im gonan go ahead and get an Radeon 64 ddr Vivo and wait till the holidays to get the Radeon2.
Edit fixed spelling.

Angry If you use a NEC 21" monitor i would stay away from the Radeon 64, I had one and it had serious wavy issues in all Adapter settings.

I spoke to ATI and they know of this problem and there is no fix.

After roughly 100 hours of having a perpetual headache from the waviness I bought a Geforce2 Pro and the problem was not a problem any more.

I find it irronic that ATI is releasing the Radeon 2 soon despite the original Radeon still has bugs if you are using a large NEC monitor.

Many people love the Radeon and it works well for them, but I am a hard core gamer and I watch tons of DVD's on my PC and the GF2 smokes the Radeon in gaming and I cant tell any difference in DVD quality but I dont have a headache any more.

If I had a product that worked on 99.9% of the monitors (read all but one) on the market do you actually think I would halt production for that one product? No way.

I am also a hardcore game. I have traded in my nVidia products for good. Their graphics are lowsy, and the Gforce2 isnt that much faster than the Radeon. I'm happy with the speed, I'm happy with the graphics quality.

But most of all, I'm happy with the price.

Kingslayer (Jun 28, 2001 08:47 a.m.):
If I had a product that worked on 99.9% of the monitors (read all but one) on the market do you actually think I would halt production for that one product? No way.

I am also a hardcore game. I have traded in my nVidia products for good. Their graphics are lowsy, and the Gforce2 isnt that much faster than the Radeon. I'm happy with the speed, I'm happy with the graphics quality.

Kingslayer, If I was able to help out that one guy with a NEC 21" E1100 monitor then it was worth it, I was merely stating that ATI should rectify thier existing problems in thier Qwest to be competitive, and if you are a gamer as you say, surely you cant think that The radeon performs in line with Geforce 2 pros and Ultras.......Thats insane, I was an ATI customer for years and this is my first Nvidea card actually It smokes the Radeon for gaming in Benchmarking, and DVD playback I cant see any degradation in comparison.

You know whats funny, I had a Rage Fury Maxx as my last ATI card and When the Radeon 64(w/vivo) malfunctioned at all adapter settings ATI was going to give me an even swap for a new Rage fury Maxx.......not such a good deal for me as I bought the Radeon retail. Thats why I decided to try a Nvidea based card. I'M GLAD I DID!

Either that or you can always sell your Radeon at Ebay when your ready for a Radeon 2. I just sold my V5 over Ebay. Got $96.00 for it? Hell I could buy one for brand new for that price. So I think I came out pretty good! Now I'm just anctuosly waiting for Monday for my Radeon 64 to arrive! As well as thursday for my Asus A7A 266 & T-Bird 1.2gig to come! Man it should be such a big improvement over what I have now!

GOD I WANT MY NEW HARDWARE!!!! Waiting is SOOOO HARD!

Sam (Jun 28, 2001 03:29 p.m.):
Kingslayer (Jun 28, 2001 08:47 a.m.):

Kingslayer, If I was able to help out that one guy with a NEC 21" E1100 monitor then it was worth it, I was merely stating that ATI should rectify thier existing problems in thier Qwest to be competitive, and if you are a gamer as you say, surely you cant think that The radeon performs in line with Geforce 2 pros and Ultras.......Thats insane, I was an ATI customer for years and this is my first Nvidea card actually It smokes the Radeon for gaming in Benchmarking, and DVD playback I cant see any degradation in comparison.

You know whats funny, I had a Rage Fury Maxx as my last ATI card and When the Radeon 64(w/vivo) malfunctioned at all adapter settings ATI was going to give me an even swap for a new Rage fury Maxx.......not such a good deal for me as I bought the Radeon retail. Thats why I decided to try a Nvidea based card. I'M GLAD I DID!

So Nvidia cards have no problems? Puhhhlease! ;-)

all i know is that i am gonna be the first person to buy a Radeon 2 (R300). I love Radeons! I had a Radeon 32mb DDR, but somehows it died. LoL....Right now i am stuck with a VooDoo3 @ 193....Really not too bad of a card! Tomorrow i will be getting my A7A266, and my Duron 750 to hold up until i get my Tbird 1ghz @ 1.4+. Then i will be getting DDR ram (256mb PC2100 for 86 dollars i believe) and then of course by then my baby the R300 should be out, and in my hands! Be ready to be smoked nVidia PeepZ!!!

So what?
Nforce?!
Nvidia is just crasy and thinks that graphics are the main in the computer system. I think N acts so just because it wants us to buy the 'TOP' system. If so , who said that it is really cool?
The main part of this system is GPU. I would like to enjoy how long does it takes Win 95 to load on NForce? 2 hours?
It is my opinion that this system is just like Mcrosoft XBOX, Playstation , etc. - made for games only, for only optimized games.

AMD new bus? I am sure It will reappear everywhere as soon as 64 -bit CPU appears (warhammer .. or so) Yes, I think it is COOL, but NOT ON 'THE GRAPHICS ONLY' SYSTEM.

That's why I am in the ATi clan!

( I really want to look on the NForce computer in the Win9X or NT System Properties.: Main Processor -> Geforce????) :) !

Read carefully guys!
There is no officially,by the way, Radeon 2 - it is R200( not R300 - It is called Radeon 3 or Radeon 2 Ultra).

Back