• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$116 credit at newegg and I need a new mobo!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Arkaine23

Captain Random Senior Evil
I just RMA'd a dead OEM 8500. Now I've got some credit at newegg. My AK35GTR can't hit more than 144 FSB stable, so I want a 333 board. The KX7 with RAID is looking pretty nice...

Think it'll do good for an XP agoia that hits 1.8Ghz? I have Kingmax and Mushkin PC2700 and PC3000. All I really want is 166FSB, but if I can get more that's just fine with me.

Unless there are any AGP 8x or kt400 boards coming out in the next few weeks....

as soon as i scrounge up the money im gonna get the Epox 8k3a from new egg... ive read people are getting good oc's out of it and it has voltage control with no mods

mobo

That's my other choice. But is there an 8k3a with RAID.? Also, I keep hearing about stability problems on the Epox...

My unlocked XP1800+ only needs 1.84v to get to the 1.8 range.

Just what voltage options are there for the KX7?

i haven't heard anything about the stablity issues....the epox 8k3a+ has raid.. i don't like my ak35 the max oc i gor was like 148 fsb and that sucks. i had this chip going 1742 166x10.5....and i don't know anything about the KX7

The 8K5A2+ is out...USB 2.0, onboard LAN and RAID...from Epox, just basically a revised 8K3A. Darn confusing name though...

I've heard of people hitting 200fsb and over on the Abits, and I don't think 166 will be that much of a challenge trusting your other components are up to the task. I personally really like my KX7-333R. TONS of tweak options. Yeah, vcore only to 1.85, but you can still do the vmod if you need more...

And I know its rarely stressed, but I like Abits power circuitry better than the Epox...probably not a big deal, but I just like that better...

Oh, and the abits have no onboard stuff to get in the way, if you don't need that sorta stuff atleast.

Mike

another vote for the KX7-333R. This board is awesome at oc'ing and you'll defenitly be able to get 166mhz out of it. As you probably know it doesn't have all that integrated features. Havn't tried the Epox yet, but I'm sure it's a good board too.

azureblu12 said:
http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/kt333-15.html

its quick but unstable.... u may say tom is bias but no matter how bias u are, u never flat out lie u only give a little help to the side u lean toward

Its quite simple, its the quickest.... but crashes.... my opinion is that anything that is that unstable is not worth getting
Toms a moron. simply put
This website had no problems and got the fsb up to 204.

Anandtech had no problem either. and at the end they stats that they had no problem getting all thge boards to 166 mhz fsb.

my point is most the tom doesn't know what hes talking about and i don't trust anything he says as far as i can throw him. and you can go here and read some of the other reviews and none of them had a problem. ive researched alot about this board as i was looking into getting it.:D

board

ATA133 Raid is the most important onboard feature to me. I have a nice soundcard already and I think my NIC is ok. Haven't been able to hit high FSB to test it, but NIC's are cheap and I have several already. USB 2.0... What uses that? Whatever things do, I don't have them, although it does sound nice.

The Abit seems like the way to go. I can volt mod it if necessary. What kind of memory voltages can it do? Can the VIO be adjusted?

My votes on the Kx-7, I have one and it's great, have had my 2000+ @ 1900 mhz,but with the summer heat gotta settle for 1860 mhz,I also added a volt mod and have been up to 2.0 volts but it likes the boards max of 1.85 best:burn:

Arkaine23 said:
I just RMA'd a dead OEM 8500. Now I've got some credit at newegg. My AK35GTR can't hit more than 144 FSB stable, so I want a 333 board. The KX7 with RAID is looking pretty nice...

Think it'll do good for an XP agoia that hits 1.8Ghz? I have Kingmax and Mushkin PC2700 and PC3000. All I really want is 166FSB, but if I can get more that's just fine with me.

Unless there are any AGP 8x or kt400 boards coming out in the next few weeks....
i say go for the abit at7e, it doesn't have all the extra firewire and raid. you can get it for 120. why do i say get this one? because i have the at7 and it's SWEEEEET! :)

The 8k3a and 8k3a raid have a 1/5 PCI divisor; nice for high OC's. I think the KX7 has it, too, but I'm not sure. Look for that, though, or you'll get stuck at low FSB.

KX7

I hit 200 FSB today breifly... big hassle for me making a raid array for the first time. Also added a window and cold cathode... both of which we're very heavily- assembly required. Anyway, I got the array going finally and win2k installed. Running it at 10x166 for now. WIll get busy with it in the next few days.

I have both the Abit KX7-raid and the Epox 8K3A+ raid and guess which one is in the main rig???

yup the Abit KX7 raid.. Stable faster in memory... no hassles trying to find a good bios like the epox.

I have it running at 200 FSB with a stick of Corsair XMS 3200PL at cas2.5 4 way, 2,6,3 2T, Cpu command FAST, and enhance DDR enabled @ 2.85volts.

I'm getting a sandra bench of 2932/2696 at 1800Mhz (200x9)

i've got a buddy that has a better stick of Corsair XMS 3200PL same M/B at 200 Cas2 2,6,2 2T CPU command at FAST, Enhance DDR enabled at 2.85 volts. He probably can go higher still hehe.

SO... Abit better choice my friend... PERIOD! I cant stand the Epox board even though i liked the layout when i first got it. Juggling bios is bothersome. Mem benches comes up way slower then the Abit KX7.

I've got a AMD 2100+ at 1800 for now... Need water cooling to get it back to 1930. After i buy a new Pump.

The epox has a 2000+...

I'll let you know in a day or 2 once i put a little better heatsink on it.. Right now i've got it clocked down to a gig.. just to keep the heat down on a 2000+ hehe... Still is overheating though at 46-47 C..

So once i get a little better CPU heatsink on her i'll try for the 200FSB and see whats up.

Back