• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KYRO ll

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaos

I've been looking at the Guillemot 4500 based on the Kyro ll. I'm not a big FPS player and wondered what people think of this card. For $110, it looks like a pretty good deal. Anyone got some info or reviews about this card or chipset.

Chaos...I have a Hercules 4500 in my Duron box and I'm pretty happy with it. Some newer drivers will help the card alot but I've played a wide range of games and use a fairly standard amount of regular applications and have not had any major problems.

The card has a lot of bonuses for a $110 card. 64meg of ram...active cooling, sweet blue PCB (if you like colored cards...I do). The 64meg RAM being the biggest...allowing you to scale up to larger applications/games in the future and still have enought memory. From what I've read there are better 2D cards out there but you really can't go wrong w/ what your planning on using the card for. My .02 Good luck w/ your final decision.

The Kyro2 is a great card. A friend of mine had one in a 1.4 athlon system and it was very sweet. Just make sure you get the latest drivers. If I didn't have a Geforce2 ddr already I would probably get a Kyro. The kyro is a little bit slower in some apps but the visual quality and 4x FSAA is amazing.

chaos (Jul 08, 2001 07:45 a.m.):
I've been looking at the Guillemot 4500 based on the Kyro ll. I'm not a big FPS player and wondered what people think of this card. For $110, it looks like a pretty good deal. Anyone got some info or reviews about this card or chipset.

If you're not much of an FPS player just get a Radeon LE. It costs only $70, and offers performance on par with the regular Radeon and GF2 GTS. I'm sure it will get you by in whatever fps's you end up playing.

Another good thing about the kyro2 is that in 3d games it doesn't become athe bottleneck (in other words you will benifet from a faster cpu)
also another good thing is the chip is made from my dad's company. :)

i have done a lot of research on this card i dont own one but i mgiht buy one if things dont change when the nvdia mb chips comeout. it is as fast as gforce2 gts in some test and mostly in 32 bit color ot rocks for the price. if you are going budget it more than worth the money. just do a search for 4500 and you will find a ton of reviews right now everyone is raving about it it will change video history the way it renders graphics.

Just found this article at X-Bit Labs. Looks as though some of the lack of overclocking of the Kyro II chipset on the Hercules platform..or in general...is due to a lack of voltage...just like CPU's. Following the voltage mode...X-Bit had the Kyro II and memory up to 200MHz...196MHz stable....I'll take 10MHz over the 185 that I'm able to achieve right now!!!
See article here:

As this looks like an easy mod...and I'm a little distraught at my current Kyro II performance...I am seriously considering practicing some soldering and then giving this a shot....I'll keep you posted....anyone else wanna try first???

I got a Hercules Prophet 4500 and I like it!
Even if it does not perform too good in 3D Mark 2000 and 2001, this doesn´t say anything about it´s abilities in 3D Games. I play a lot UT and Quake III and I must say, that both look really fantastic and are very fast in 32 Bit. This card does actually loose no speed in 32Bit.
And the 4xFSAA looks fantastic.
The bad thing about this card is, that it doesnt overclock too good (see my specs) But I´m getting a BLORB soon, And Then I´ll see, what is possible...
3D Mark Scores:
2000 Default : 4648
2000 Default with 32 Bit : 4532
2001 Default : 1754

chaos (Jul 08, 2001 07:45 a.m.):

i don't have this card, but i personally peed myself reading your post!

I did the voltage mod for my Hercules Prophet 4500 SS& HS 22k ohm resistor ect. Getting 196mhz perfectly stable no excess heat,200 had problems in 3D#2k. Backed off 4 and been stable ever since but I'm still testing.
Sofar..
3D#2k @184 4559, @196 4641
3D#2k1 @184 1634, @196 1772
Ill be upgrading my CPU next weekend ,since there so cheap now,and see how big of a difference 400mhz on the CPU makes.
[img="[URL]http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze24h2j/Mykex/4750lf.jpg[/URL]"]

Back