• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

changing video cards in a laptop. ATI sucks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eXt hawk

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate the ati video card in my dell inspiron 8000. i want to put a gefroce2go chip in it but dell wont help me please is it possoble if it is how and were can i buy the chip i wrote nvidia and have gotten no reply. serious gamer i need good graphics. tha ati does crappy in a few games and is total crap in black and white and giants. if you can help thanks. options welcome

update: I understand the impracticality of gaming on a laptop however i am stationed in bosnia and need protable so i game with what i have and would like it for one nighters when i get back. why cant i get someone to unsolder the old one and install the go chip. i really dont believe it would have to be a whole new mb it doesn't make sense just for a video card. i have 850, 32mg ati, 128mg ram, 20 gig hd, 15in screen it is great except for the video is there any settings to change or tweak let me know.

eXt hawk (Jul 10, 2001 05:39 a.m.):
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hate the ati video card in my dell inspiron 8000. i want to put a gefroce2go chip in it but dell wont help me please is it possoble if it is how and were can i buy the chip i wrote nvidia and have gotten no reply. serious gamer i need good graphics. tha ati does crappy in a few games and is total crap in black and white and giants. if you can help thanks. options welcome

You don't game on laptops, simple as that. In order to keep a laptop up to date enough to run games you'll be laying down $4000-$5000 per year. As far as I know laptop video cards cannot be upgraded or swapped, they are built into the board...

I suppose you could hire someone to solder on a new video card, but 1. You would void your warranty with Dell and 2. You would be SOL and ~$3000 poorer if your laptop gets screwed up from a bad installation

you can upgrade a insp 8000 so thanks for the help and disregard this thread

Back