• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which is a Better card to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joe

Registered
Im either gonna get a hercules geforce 2 64mb pro or the PNY geforce 2 64mbs pro and i was wondering which is a better card for OCing and which one is just plain better? thanx alot

I would definately go with the hercules geforce 2 64mb pro. As it is a very reliable name brand, compared to the PNY, which I have actually never heard of. The hercules geforce 2 64mb pro performas one of the best in its class od GF2 Pros. And I know for a fact that it is a good overclocker also. So go with the hercules geforce 2 64mb pro.

That's only when you overclock too much. When you push it too far, it gets funky and glitches occur. Overclock it as much as possible until you get "artifacts" (white things) and then lower it back down. Once you don't get any more artifacts, stay with that speed. If you decide to cool your card more, you may squeeze another few mhz out of it

hmm does anyone know how far u can OC it before the white dots apear. and does anyone know how far u can OC the PNY card too. it would help so i can compair them.

Sometimes even 10-15MHz. :) That's what happened with my Hercules GF2MX, when I moved the default heatsink to ramsinks and gave it a small 50mm fan. I put a blorb on the core. I got ~10MHz more for core and 15MHz more for memories. :) :) Happy happy me.

Go with Hercules.

Edit: it's now running at 205/215, stock being 175/166. core/mem. Lucky me.

I don't have any numbers, but the Hercules will still probably OC better than the PNY. The reason, it's a repescted manufacturer. It's just like memory. Sure, you may get lucky and get a stick that will overclock just as good as any brand name pc150 stick, but the odds are low. It would probably be best to buy the Hercules since they probably use faster ram and better components

ok well im gonna get it :) thanx again everyone your help has been great.

PNY are memory people, I wouldn't dare put one of their cards in my PC (unless it was a free geforce 3, then maybe).

ya PNY is mainly budget memory-sells at walmart and staples- definately get the Herc- plus the Ram is surely gonna be better if not anything else

Hercules sucks for the price. I'd go with the PNY. And no, PNY is not a no-name brand. Best Buy sells PNY. And they make good CD-Rs.

Ah, butdoes the concept apply to their video cards? Last time I checked, a CD-R works nothing like a video card

It_The_Cow (Jul 12, 2001 08:00 p.m.):
Ah, butdoes the concept apply to their video cards? Last time I checked, a CD-R works nothing like a video card

lol -- that is a very good point.

PNY does make good CDRs, though rather ugly design... and Best buy sells a lot of half-assed components, as well as some of the best... because they wrap a pile of crap in a bow and sell it to you doesn't mean it isn't crap.

Pinky (Jul 13, 2001 04:58 a.m.):
It_The_Cow (Jul 12, 2001 08:00 p.m.):

lol -- that is a very good point.

PNY does make good CDRs, though rather ugly design... and Best buy sells a lot of half-assed components, as well as some of the best... because they wrap a pile of crap in a bow and sell it to you doesn't mean it isn't crap.
I was thinking about making a reamrk about Best Buy. They buy the cheapest thing they can find, inflate the price to the value of the best in the line, and sell it to consumers who don't even know there are better quality stuff out there. This if course doesn't apply to everything, but when was the last time you saw a Corsair pc150 stick of RAM? Last time I checked, they sold generic stuff $20 more than what a Corsair would cost

lol no worry people i dont pay for it the store does :) i get a free on cause i have a warrenty on my old one and they dont have my old one so i get to pick the closest card to mine for free :):):) lol well im gonna pick it up sat w00t w00t thanx for the help guys.

Back