• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

stupid cpu shim

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

athlonnerd

this probobly isnt the right forum, but its the most read forum. last night, i lapped my sk-6 so 2000 grit, i was boored. i use a cpu shim from danger den, cuase im fixing to have my wc setup ready, and i was afriad that my custom block might crush my core .
i put teh shim on the cpu, and installed the hs. usually i take the hs off, to check for a core imprint in the thrmal compount to make shure all is cool (pardon the pun). however, for some reason i thought that doing so might decrease the thermal eficiency for some reason, dont really know why, i was tired, neways, so this was the one time i dodnt check. i t turns out, the shim had bounced slightle whilst installing the sk6, and was sitting aton one of the black pad thingies, thus the sk6 wasnt properly installed, i started up my comp..... i leave the rest to your imagination.

:mad:

neway, i doubt i will be able to return the cpu to the reseller, cause i made an attempt to unlock, although you can hardly see the difference, nickelprint comes off easily with alchohol, so only the superglue remains. there is no visible defect with the cpu, so i might be able to return it.

so now i have a delema, i can sent i the cpu, wait a week and see if the'l replace it, or i can just get a new cpu fom newegg, their only 70 bux, not exactly gonna bankrupt me. or i can do both, if i end up with two cpu's, then maybe i can go mp.... what do yall think? i really dont want to be without 1.4 ghz for 2 weeks, my old k6-2 550 sint bad, but its running on a really old 2 gb 5mb/s hdd, this is terrible.

i think i will just order a new cpu form newegg, in which case, im faced with a nother choice, should i get another 1600+, get a 1700+, or get an 1800+, an 1800+ is 20 bux more. does anyone have experience with the 1800+ being so much more mhz yielding that it warrants 20 bux?

any input would be appreciated

sorry to hear about you chip, i have used a shim for a while and not had any problems with it. I would recomend sticking the shim to the cpu with a tiny blob of super glue (liquid) this will prevent the shim from moving around and you can either take it off when you have finished with the chip or get a new one (they are very cheap)

No, you can't return it and scam Newegg for a new one, that breaks the Overclocker's Rule--you break it, you suck up the cost (not to mention it breaks AMD's policies, which makes it against the law). If you don't want to loose the money, don't take the risk. My GF2 Ultra was having OC-related problems recently, so what did I do? I bought a GF4 and the GF2U now resides in my drawer. Problem solved. =)

Now, it seems as though alot of the 1600's coming out of Newegg have AGOGA-Y stepping, so the chances of you getting one of those (or even an ARIOA-Y) are pretty good. I have purchased two 1600's myself, and a friend of mine bought 2 more, and all 4 had AGOGA-Y stepping. With one of those, you could OC to XP 2000+ speeds quite easily.

PYROMANIAC said:
is that stepping any good?

Quite. I got to 1686 MHz the day I got it, but it was just a wee bit toasty for me (53C idle), so I backed off until I watercool it. I didn't really try either, I just keyed in 160 FSB, and that was that. No voltage or multiplier, just FSB. One of these days, I'll see just how far it can go though.

send it in for rma!!! if they tell u they cant do it then bad luck but thats for them to decide. who knows the chip might have been defective and wasnt ur fault at all. lol thats how i see it. Get another chip if u can afford it. i still got 2 extra chips that i got back from rma so its all good.

actually the newegg stepping is AGOIA Y. That is much better and you will def be able to get 1800mhz or more with it on water.

Yeah, i'm a retard too. I recently remounted my heatsink and wasn't happy with the temps i was getting. So I remounted again. Well i didn't check the imprint either, and when I booted up, nothing. So I took the heatsink off and there it was, or i should say wasn't. Only a tiny corner of the core left an imprint. Now i have no computer untill I have money to buy a new cpu. I also believe in the you break it, you buy it rule.

Mizzery said:
Yeah, i'm a retard too. I recently remounted my heatsink and wasn't happy with the temps i was getting. So I remounted again. Well i didn't check the imprint either, and when I booted up, nothing. So I took the heatsink off and there it was, or i should say wasn't. Only a tiny corner of the core left an imprint. Now i have no computer untill I have money to buy a new cpu. I also believe in the you break it, you buy it rule.
actually u bought it and it broke and if i were a multi billion dollar company offering u a new one cos it broke u wouldnt take it?? hmm weird

athlonnerd said:
this probobly isnt the right forum, but its the most read forum. last night, i lapped my sk-6 so 2000 grit, i was boored. i use a cpu shim from danger den, cuase im fixing to have my wc setup ready, and i was afriad that my custom block might crush my core .
i put teh shim on the cpu, and installed the hs. usually i take the hs off, to check for a core imprint in the thrmal compount to make shure all is cool (pardon the pun). however, for some reason i thought that doing so might decrease the thermal eficiency for some reason, dont really know why, i was tired, neways, so this was the one time i dodnt check. i t turns out, the shim had bounced slightle whilst installing the sk6, and was sitting aton one of the black pad thingies, thus the sk6 wasnt properly installed, i started up my comp..... i leave the rest to your imagination.

neway, i doubt i will be able to return the cpu to the reseller, cause i made an attempt to unlock, although you can hardly see the difference, nickelprint comes off easily with alchohol, so only the superglue remains. there is no visible defect with the cpu, so i might be able to return it.

so now i have a delema, i can sent i the cpu, wait a week and see if the'l replace it, or i can just get a new cpu fom newegg, their only 70 bux, not exactly gonna bankrupt me. or i can do both, if i end up with two cpu's, then maybe i can go mp.... what do yall think? i really dont want to be without 1.4 ghz for 2 weeks, my old k6-2 550 sint bad, but its running on a really old 2 gb 5mb/s hdd, this is terrible.

i think i will just order a new cpu form newegg, in which case, im faced with a nother choice, should i get another 1600+, get a 1700+, or get an 1800+, an 1800+ is 20 bux more. does anyone have experience with the 1800+ being so much more mhz yielding that it warrants 20 bux?

any input would be appreciated

1600 XP - 66 Dollars OEM!

Go Retail!

1800 Retail - 102

packratbob said:
send it in for rma!!! if they tell u they cant do it then bad luck but thats for them to decide. who knows the chip might have been defective and wasnt ur fault at all. lol thats how i see it. Get another chip if u can afford it. i still got 2 extra chips that i got back from rma so its all good.

Please don't put ideas into his head! That is illegal--changing a CPU's clock speed to gain additional performance over factory defaults is not illegal, but when the misuse (that's what OCing is) of a CPU leads to it's failure, it is your own fault and nobody else's.

Now, if you get a brand new CPU and pop it in to find it's DOA, that's most certainly not your fault, and you can return the CPU for a new one.

But if you destroy the CPU, either physically or by overclocking, it's your own fault, and your own responsibility, not Newegg's or AMD's. If you don't like the policies and laws, go play with another CPU manufacturer who has a different policy. :cool:

Über~PhLuBB said:

Please don't put ideas into his head! That is illegal--changing a CPU's clock speed to gain additional performance over factory defaults is not illegal, but when the misuse (that's what OCing is) of a CPU leads to it's failure, it is your own fault and nobody else's.

Now, if you get a brand new CPU and pop it in to find it's DOA, that's most certainly not your fault, and you can return the CPU for a new one.

But if you destroy the CPU, either physically or by overclocking, it's your own fault, and your own responsibility, not Newegg's or AMD's. If you don't like the policies and laws, go play with another CPU manufacturer who has a different policy. :cool:

i agree - i am sure VIA will gratefully give you many CPU's

ok true, would be immoral.

i didnt get it at newegg, i got it at monarchcomputer.com they are a good company, very trustworthy, i got it 8 months ago, for like 145 bux, with 3 year warranty, wasnt amd's warranty.

im gonna get a new one form newegg, should i get the 1800+ or 1600+

the only actual overclcokeing i did was seing how high i could get my fsb, like 155. what kinda damage is that gonna do? and i also attempted to unlock, wsnt actually successfull. and besides, if the situation were reversed, you made a cpu, amd boughtn it from you, they fried iot, and had the oppertunity to get a replacement, do you really think that amd would do the morraly correct thing?
why is overclocking illegel, if it was why arent we all in prison or whatever?
mind you, isnt rma ing it like fraud?

athlonnerd said:
the only actual overclcokeing i did was seing how high i could get my fsb, like 155. what kinda damage is that gonna do? and i also attempted to unlock, wsnt actually successfull. and besides, if the situation were reversed, you made a cpu, amd boughtn it from you, they fried iot, and had the oppertunity to get a replacement, do you really think that amd would do the morraly correct thing?
why is overclocking illegel, if it was why arent we all in prison or whatever?
mind you, isnt rma ing it like fraud?

If you're ona budget, get the 1600. If not, pay $20 more and get the 1800.

We aren't all in jail, because overclocking isn't illegal. Once you buy the CPU, it's your sto do with as you please. You could buy one, grind it into crystals, and snort it and nobody could say anything (except maybe "Why did youdo that?!").

The illegal part is when you destroy a CPU because of overclocking, then try to get the company you bought it from to replace it--you can't do that.

155 FSB won't do anything except make heat. You might not even have to up any voltages.

Trying to RMA a product you broke, is illegal. It also crosses into the morality part of life. Some computer places will, even if they know you broke it try and get you a replacement under warranty. Like the company I used to work for. We were RMA'ing stuff that wasn't even ours, wasn't a product we carried, etc... I think our RMA departement was losing something in the neighborhood of $80 000 a month.

Back