• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I wanna overclock my Geforce2 MX....What do I have to do first?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Peacemaker

Registered
hey guys...
Thank you for your help!

I wanna overclock my Geforce2 MX....What do I have to do first?
Mine is Inno3d geforce 2 mx( no fan)
Please give me some good tips!!!

thanks a lot.

In peace,

Unlike CPUs, graphics card overclocking is done mostly via software, so the first thing you should do is make sure you have appropriate drivers for overclocking.

I'm not sure about drivers produced by specific manufacturers, but NVidia reference drivers should work for pretty much all GeForce based cards.

Check out www.geforcefaq.com for links on where to get the latest drivers. (This site also has a good bit of info on overclocking, so read it carefully) Note that the latest available on NVidia's site (21.41) does not support overclocking. I use 12.60 quite happily.

After you install the new drivers, you have to make a little registry tweak. Details of this are available in the Geforce faq, but most people opt to run a program known as Coolbits to make this registry tweak. Available at www.tweakfiles.com and a bunch of other places.

After you have the new drivers and performed the registry tweak, you get a little tab in the display properties->settings (depending on the OS you run, this tab may appear in different submenus) that will allow you to overclock. First, you enable overclocking with a check box. Then reboot. Then move the sliders for memory and GPU clock and apply the settings.

FYI: for the GeForce2 MX series, GPU overclocking is pretty useless (but fun for bragging rights) Memory overclocking is where the real benefits are. Like any overclock, move in small increments and test system stability. (Oddly enough, at one setting Quake 3 would run just fine for hours, yet a high-res Winamp vis wouldn't last 3 minutes) You can look at other people's sigs for general neighborhoods. I got 210 GPU / 210 mem with a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX - worth a good 6 fps at 1600x1200x32

I've almost no difference with my o/c. I might just set it back to default because the gain of 2-3 FPS isn't worth it.

Keep in mind i'm using an MX-200.

The first thing you wanna do is get a card cooler. I like the ones they have at www.thecardcooler.com the standard Card Cooler is better I think for cooling a single card. More coverage along the entire length of the card. While the Card Cooler XT is better for cooling multiple cards or video card and cpu.

vimal (Jul 12, 2001 11:48 a.m.):
Unlike CPUs, graphics card overclocking is done mostly via software, so the first thing you should do is make sure you have appropriate drivers for overclocking.

I'm not sure about drivers produced by specific manufacturers, but NVidia reference drivers should work for pretty much all GeForce based cards.

Check out www.geforcefaq.com for links on where to get the latest drivers. (This site also has a good bit of info on overclocking, so read it carefully) Note that the latest available on NVidia's site (21.41) does not support overclocking. I use 12.60 quite happily.

After you install the new drivers, you have to make a little registry tweak. Details of this are available in the Geforce faq, but most people opt to run a program known as Coolbits to make this registry tweak. Available at www.tweakfiles.com and a bunch of other places.

After you have the new drivers and performed the registry tweak, you get a little tab in the display properties->settings (depending on the OS you run, this tab may appear in different submenus) that will allow you to overclock. First, you enable overclocking with a check box. Then reboot. Then move the sliders for memory and GPU clock and apply the settings.

FYI: for the GeForce2 MX series, GPU overclocking is pretty useless (but fun for bragging rights) Memory overclocking is where the real benefits are. Like any overclock, move in small increments and test system stability. (Oddly enough, at one setting Quake 3 would run just fine for hours, yet a high-res Winamp vis wouldn't last 3 minutes) You can look at other people's sigs for general neighborhoods. I got 210 GPU / 210 mem with a Hercules 3D Prophet II MX - worth a good 6 fps at 1600x1200x32

Thank you so much for your help....

Back