• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The Dremel Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The stuff about using a dremel is good and fine, but the really useful info in this thread is clearing up the Cown's avatar issue.

(Up until now I always thought that was you but never wanted to say anything.) :D

grunjee said:
The stuff about using a dremel is good and fine, but the really useful info in this thread is clearing up the Cown's avatar issue.

(Up until now I always thought that was you but never wanted to say anything.) :D

:beer:

Those pictures in that guide have got to be the worst i have ever seen. I am all for modding my case(2 blowholes in it so far) and i would really like a guide to show me how to put some kind of cool image on the side, so i could put a light inside and have the image glow, thad be cool as hell. I was hopping this guide would help, but it didnt at all, all it did was confuse me further. I would like to put an image on my case so that light shines through the outline, but it doesnt come out sort of like the last pic on the guide. Anyone have any ideas how to do this(that are better than that guide)?

SuperMan0234 said:
Those pictures in that guide have got to be the worst i have ever seen. I am all for modding my case(2 blowholes in it so far) and i would really like a guide to show me how to put some kind of cool image on the side, so i could put a light inside and have the image glow, thad be cool as hell. I was hopping this guide would help, but it didnt at all, all it did was confuse me further. I would like to put an image on my case so that light shines through the outline, but it doesnt come out sort of like the last pic on the guide. Anyone have any ideas how to do this(that are better than that guide)?

Ironic isent it? I've posted a gudie on how to do that:

Window Etching:
Tread

I dont want a window etch, i dont have a window, but w/e cause i have decided to put a cool pentacost on the side of my case, inspired by one of the members avatar. Im gonna put iin a red neon when done. Ill post pics as soon as im done. Should b done tommorow or the next day. Would b done today but i ran out of cutting circles for my dremel.

I just finished the design today and i must say it looks great. I put in a 10 inch modded wal mart neon light( only 10 bucks!) and it looks really good. As soon as i get a chance, i will borrow my friends digital camera and post pics.

wow. that was a pretty good guide. i haven't yet gotten into ptting neato pictures on the side of my case but will soon. thats ontradictory and i know it. i mean how can i say that is a good guide if ive never modded my case. i use carbide burrs for everything at work. i am a machinist for the air force and let me tell you those carbide burrs are the best. Two things about the guide that i found a bit off. most of the carbide burrs i use have never left a rough cut. but rotary files of the same shape will. and the part about using wood is dead on but if you can get your hands on some phenolic i highly suggest it. its is just a stable as wood but anything can cut through it so you would be able to keep your whole panel stable instead of just the parts you weren't cutting. this may also cut down on cut out time. it isn't that expensive i believe they sell it at most home depos. and they have some pretty cheap dremmels at walmart..fyi.

that guy thinks controlling a carbide burr can be tough he should try ding it with a pneumatic dremmel. those are tough to keep in place but with practice way more accurate cuts are possible.thanks for posting this i may borrow some tools from work and mod my case over the weekend.great thread

a1cnolan said:
most of the carbide burrs i use have never left a rough cut...........
that guy thinks controlling a carbide burr can be tough he should try ding it with a pneumatic dremmel. those are tough to keep in place but with practice way more accurate cuts are possible.

In the almost 2 years since I wrote that guide, I have learned a great deal more control. Now, I can use carbide burrs and produce an almost finished edge :)

Originally posted by SuperMan0234
I would like to put an image on my case so that light shines through the outline, but it doesnt come out sort of like the last pic on the guide. Anyone have any ideas how to do this(that are better than that guide)?

Do you mean line art?

I already did it but yea, mine doesnt look great and my friends digi cam cant take pics in the dark so i cant post how it looks:( but yea, do u have a guide for line art as well?

SuperMan0234 said:
I already did it but yea, mine doesnt look great and my friends digi cam cant take pics in the dark so i cant post how it looks:( but yea, do u have a guide for line art as well?

Line art is a little tricky sometimes. Best bet is to use tungsten carbide 9909 bits cutting from the inside of the panel. This will let you control the width of the line if you want some very thin lines, but there is little room for error. Due to the shape of that bit, you will get v shaped cuts, this isnt really a bad thing since it will increase the "viewing angle" (for lack of a better term) of the design. For straight lines, your best bet is still cutoff wheels.

The "Hand of God" part of the image used for the guide is basicly line art. I cut that from the outside in, since I didnt want the lines too thin.

My first case, was a lineart image. Being that is was my first attempt ever at using a dremel as well as the first time anyone I know of modded a case with something other than a large polygon window,I think it looks like crap. It is on www.jesder.com :)

I have plans on writing a guide for this type of work (along with expanding the current guide), however I doubt it will be on my site for a while.

Back