• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ouch! temps too high!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speedy4500

ok according to winbond, my freshly installed Athlon XP1800+ is running at 53 celsius during normal web surfing / music playing. That seems way too high to me for safe operation. I'm thinking that using a shim was not a good idea as it might be preventing full pressure contact between core and heatsink. Does anyone have any hints that might help me fix this problem? Here's what I have:

Abit NV7-133R
Athlon XP1800+
Arctic Alumina
Alpha 8045
Enermax adjustable 80mm fan on HSF, turned to max RPM
2 80mm case fans in
1 80mm fan out, plus power supply.

I followed the Arctic Alumina instruction, making sure to not apply too much, and to make it as even as possible. Thanks.

Make sure your heatsink is making proper contact.

If you have loose cables, tidy them up somehow and put them out of the way. also, do you have any case fans ? if not get one or two.

and if your getting readings off the mobo's socket sensor then have a little faith, those things are horribly innacurate

I'm worse off than you. I've got an 8045 with a decent fan on it (40 cfm or so I believe). My T-Bird 1000@1450, 1.8v vCore (well, 1.93 according to MBM) is running at something like (almost idle, just websurfing and reading the forums) at 59C with a case temp of 24C. That's using the in socket thermisitor of my K7T Turbo (which is the springy flexible kind that SHOULD work better than the more common ones I see on most boards).

So, don't feel bad, it could be worse.

Define "cheap arctic silver"

works fine for me. It's not plain old white goop and it's not conductive, I'm pretty sure it's better than AS1, and slightly worse than AS2.. so I'd call it a "safe value" rather than cheap AS

why did they make artic alumina? artic silver isnt conductive or anything, its only the epoxy.... :confused:

I'm pretty sure AS2/3 is conductive. Its not designed to be but I've heard of alotta guys shorting out their memory w/ it. While they say its not conductive, they say to keep it away from pins and traces, lol.

Hell, test it w/ a multimeter :)

well, stupid me i just found out why my CPU temps are so high. According to the Abit website, the in-socket diode reports temps that are 10 scales higher than they should be, and with a simple BIOS flash it should be fixed. So in reality, I should be looking at 40 C idle temps and about 46 under load (10 loops of 3DMark2001 for now, i'm gonna do a 24 hr burn in when I install XP), which i guess aren't too bad after all.

Also, I used Arctic Alumina because it isn't conductive, it's less messy, it didn't cost as much, and the performance is only 1 C higher in most cases. I'm also planning on ducting cool air from a side vent with a 92mm fan directly on to the heatsink in the up coming weeks, hopefully that can knock down the temps another 4 C or so.

I think it's shady they say it's not conductive but also warn to keep it away from pins - etc...

If it's not "conductive" then what is it ?? Whatever it is, it can render equipment useless is the fact of the matter...

As far as I know, you don't run that risk from Arctic Alumina, and actually it's not even "silver" looking...

So it's not cheap arctic silver it's..... Performance "white" goop :p

Back