• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED What video card should I get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
M

mark

I had a Voodoo 5 5500agp about 3 days after they came out in retail when it was $399.98. But I got it for free. I was trying to remount the Molex, but my cutters slipped and bit a few of the very very small resistors off. RIP my good old 3dfx.

I am thinking GeForce 2, but I do not know which model to get.
I don't play many games, and do not need TV output. I work with graphics and pictures most of the time.

$205 GeForce2 Ultra 64MB
$138 GeForce2 Pro 64MB
$138 GeForce2 GTS 64MB
$103 GeForce2 GTS 32MB
$70 GeForce2 MX400 64MB
$66 GeForce2 MX400 32MB
$61 GeForce2 MX200 64MB
$46 GeForce2 MX200 32MB

I am thinking Pro 64mb, gts 64mb, or mx400 64mb.
I need to know which one I should get, which manufacturer, And where (if you know).

Thanks for any help. I'de like to order a new card quickly.
I am on a Riva TNT 2 32mb right now as a back-up.

mark.

This card will go into an Asus P3V4X with an Intel Pentium III 700e oced to 1120mhz (86w peltier, Alpha P3125s), 768mb cas2 Infineon pc133 ram, and 250gb total of Maxtor Ata100/7200rpm Hard Drives.

Dude if you wanna shell out the $$$ for it I would strongly recomend the Geforce 3 (~380$)If not go for the geforce 2 gts with DDRAM.

the Geforce 3 gets 5000 on 3d mark 2000 fyi
peace

Sorry if I didn't read your post right, but if you still have the V5 5500, perhaps it'll work just fine. I say this 'cause it's my understanding that the V5 5500 has excellent Video quality. If you require a professional Vidcard for 2D work, will any "gamer's" Vidcard really fill the bill? The Matrox G400/G450's also have excellent 2D quality. They aren't great for gaming, but you mention that games aren't a priority.

A good bridge between the gf2's and the matrox 400's is the Ati radeon.
It has better 2d graphic quality than the gf2 and is better at games than the matrox.

NOOOOOOO!!!! Dont listen to him....The ati radeons you super gay. Listen it will be ok. we can work through this I will sell you a tnt2 32mb cheap..just dont buy a ghetto ati card.lol

Max Payne will **** on the radeon

NAS_Phoenix (Jul 19, 2001 10:03 p.m.):
NOOOOOOO!!!! Dont listen to him....The ati radeons you super gay. Listen it will be ok. we can work through this I will sell you a tnt2 32mb cheap..just dont buy a ghetto ati card.lol

Max Payne will s**t on the radeon

1st off i believe everyone is entitled to their own opinions and whatnot but i feel you must have been mis imformed about ATI's beautiful piece of work know as the radeon. I dont see how a piece of hardware can have a sexual preferance but lets leave it at that. He had a V5, i see no need for him to upgrade....yet. I'd wait until Dirext X games start to ship heavily because by then the G3 should have come down in price by then. Also, why would he downgrade from the V5 to a TnT?, i personally see no logic in that. I agree pretty much in full with Nagorak and Placid, nuff said. Listin i dont want to sound like my mother but saying the radeon has a "Taboo" sexual preferance could enrage some people, its a touchy subject dissing the radeon like that, next time perhaps keep the posts a little more neutral, yes? The radeons are great little cards and preform well enough in games (IMO) and have killer dvd playback.

And Max Payne would never do such a thing, he would embrace the card for he knows of its good points and cares not of its minor imperfections.

*Note-Im a big fan of ATI, so sometimes i may go overboard with the ATI lovin', but i think most of us can agree its a decent little card for the money.

thanks for the replies,
i already have the rive tnt2 32m agp by the way.
i am thinking geforce 2 mx 400 or the gts.
which one? also which brand (make).

oh, i did try the card.
i got the post beeps saying no vid card installed.
sigh.
i took the h/s fans off atleast.

yeah.... right.....
someone forgot their medicine today ?
lets talk "ghetto" for a moment, shall we?...
... look at comparisons and/or benchmarks, and show me where a TNT comes close to a nVidia G-anything or any Radeon
after having two Radeons, the one current being an LE... and a GeForce 2 MX in this box, with which i use for gaming...
i believe Max Payne is laughing at You.

far as cards go, just look for DDR...
i'd go ATI if you are'nt really gaming, and yes.. Matrox is very good 2d.
but, i'd go ATI ... unless, you want the overclockability, then nVidia has it wrapped. you can't really go wrong either way, i just say stick to DDR.

Welcome to the forums NAS_Phoenix, enjoy the forums and please refrain from using prophanity in the future, we like to keep things clean around here.

Mark, I'm glad you found what you were looking for but, if I could throw my 2 cents in, I think you should consider a Radeon LE. The GF2 MX400 is an excellent card, but is more suited to gaming. The Radeon provides best 2D image quality available along with bright vibrant colors. It has the power you need on the occasions that you do play games and has what many consider to be the best DVD playback available for the pc. Also, it's price is comparable to that of the GF2 MX and, if your into tinkering (aren't we all) I believe the LE's onboard bios can be flashed to that of a Radeon 32 which, I think, makes it the most bang for your buck. I've owned both a Radeon 32ddr and a GF2 GTS and I prefer my Radeon. The GF2 was powerful and, if all I did was game, I would have kept it. The Radeon was more versitile and suited my needs much better.

I think you'll be happy with either card, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents in too. Good luck and my condolences on the loss of your Voodoo.

Well if you have your heart set on Geforce 2 and want to save money than go with the Geforce 2 Pro, it will easily outperform the Geforce 2 Mx400 cards. Otherwise stay with your Voodoo 5 it will be more than enough video and may actually be better than a Geforce 2 Pro card. If you dont care about the money then go for the Visiontek Geforce 3.

Back