• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oxygen Video Card for Game Usage

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wompem

Greetings all;
This is my first post here, but I've been lurking around for a little bit. I've got a question that hope someone can help me with.

At work, we have a computer with an 3d Labs Oxygen VX-1 video card and a computer with one of the newer Geforce3 cards. One of the main programs we use has heavy OpenGL coding. We have noticed that the older Oxygen card performs on par, if not better than the Geforce3 in the program. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in general game usage with the 3dLabs cards. I was wanting to get a new vid card for my new home computer (building now) and the VX-1 is 1/3 the price of the Geforce3. I was wondering how the performance compared with normal apps. Since it isn't a standard gaming card, I've found it hard to get comparison info on the web. I'd mainly be using the home computer for games, but I might be using some of my work apps at home also.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW: The work benchmarks were blown away by a very old (+4yr) Wildcat card and a Elsa Gloria, but the Geforce3 and VX-1 were about the same performance and much better than the Radeon SDR. (Too bad I don't have $1000-$2000+ budget for a video card.)

The VX-1 would be outperformed by a GeForce1. The GeForce3 would utterly destroy it in games. Even in CAD applications the VX-1 would be hard pressed to keep its head above water in comparison.

Wompem (Jul 19, 2001 11:11 p.m.):
Greetings all;
This is my first post here, but I've been lurking around for a little bit. I've got a question that hope someone can help me with.

At work, we have a computer with an 3d Labs Oxygen VX-1 video card and a computer with one of the newer Geforce3 cards. One of the main programs we use has heavy OpenGL coding. We have noticed that the older Oxygen card performs on par, if not better than the Geforce3 in the program. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience in general game usage with the 3dLabs cards. I was wanting to get a new vid card for my new home computer (building now) and the VX-1 is 1/3 the price of the Geforce3. I was wondering how the performance compared with normal apps. Since it isn't a standard gaming card, I've found it hard to get comparison info on the web. I'd mainly be using the home computer for games, but I might be using some of my work apps at home also.

Anyone have any suggestions?

BTW: The work benchmarks were blown away by a very old (+4yr) Wildcat card and a Elsa Gloria, but the Geforce3 and VX-1 were about the same performance and much better than the Radeon SDR. (Too bad I don't have $1000-$2000+ budget for a video card.)

Those type of cards aren't designed for gaming and will likely perform poorly as such. In fact it's quite possible those cards may not even support direct3d at all and may only provide OpenGL support as they are designed for proffesional 3d applications that usually use OpenGL.

The geforce three is way better for games!!!!!
the 3dlabs card is built for highend work stations!
And is great for cad and 3dmodeling.

i really dont think oxygen is 1/3 price of gf3, seeing as it's a professional card

i remember seeing its price b4, and it was very expensive

and nothing can beat gf3 in speed for games, and for proffesional work have u considered the quadro 3?

Back