• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SB Live Value in Win2K

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Eil Atan

I am trying to get my SB Live! Value card to work in my other computer, which has the specs listed below. I was running Win98, and the card worked fine, but I am using Win2K right now, and I can't get any sound out of the card. It sees the card in the device manager, and says that it is working, but no sound comes out. Also, when I try to play a song, sound file, etc., the sound doesn't really play. It is hard to describe, but what happens is it just sits there, doing nothing. For example, in WinAmp, if I hit play, it just sits at 0:00 and does nothing. Bizarre...

The system is a Duron 750, 128MB RAM, Gigabyte GA-7IXE4, Two 10.5 GB Seagate HDD, Voodoo 3 3000, SB Live! Value, Two Network Cards (one for Cable modem, one for LAN)

I had a problem as well. What happens is that the drivers will default to digital out only. How I changed mine is by double clicking the speaker icon in your systray and go to advanced properties.

From there you can uncheck the digital out only.

It would probably benefit to download the liveware 3.0 driver and software bundle from creative's site... I couldn't get my sb live to work in windows 2000 without it, I don't know that changing the digital out helps the real problem (which creative admits is driver related)...

is there anywhere I can get the proper drivers from? I lost my cd when we moved to this house, and when I tried installing the live! ware 3.0 that is on creative's site under the latest drivers, the setup told me that it was unable to find a soundblaster card, which is bizarre, because Win2K showed a properly working soundblaster card working in my device manager... i'm gonna go see if it is the digital output thing... i'll try the liveware update again as well...

That's the only drivers update for that card. Try uninstalling the card in device manager, then run liveware setup (let the software try and detect it that way.

I don't even bother with any CD software, I just use liveware 3.0

Eil Atan (Jul 26, 2001 06:56 p.m.):
is there anywhere I can get the proper drivers from? I lost my cd when we moved to this house, and when I tried installing the live! ware 3.0 that is on creative's site under the latest drivers, the setup told me that it was unable to find a soundblaster card, which is bizarre, because Win2K showed a properly working soundblaster card working in my device manager... i'm gonna go see if it is the digital output thing... i'll try the liveware update again as well...

I am having the exact same problem. Neither the new driver nor the Liveware 3.0 can detect the card, but Win2K has no problem finding it. No sound. Nada. I have tried the card in every PCI slot - no soap. Nothing on this subject in the Mickeysoft knowledge base or the Creative knowledge base. I suspect that it is an IRQ sharing issue, since Win2K has chosen to put my NIC, modem and USB all on IRQ 11. I have installed 4-in-1 4.32 (works great), SP1, and SP2. Everything else works great. Bizarre. I am tempted to disable PnP OS in the BIOS and assign IRQs manually, but I have a dual-boot with Me, which is working perfectly (finally) and I don't want to screw that up. Any help is truly appreciated.

yeah, i am having the same thing still... can't get the drivers to work at all, and even though win2k recognizes, i just get no sound... pretty frustrating... i guess i will try to reassign irqs in the bios, that is a good idea... tell me if it works for you...

Back