• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I gotta get somethin straight...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bmxpunk86pl

Hey I havent really paid attention to the new p4 setups cuz iv been busy with learnin assembly so i gotta get somethin straight.

Wut is that extra wire for on the p4 psu?

Wut are the diff p4s like the 1.6A, 1.6, etc.

How many different FSB speeds are there for these babys (last time i remember it was like 133mhz celeron, lol)

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
adam

1) I have no idea what the extra wire is for.

2) The "A" after the CPU speed indicates that it is a Northwood CPU, which is a far better overclocker than the old Willamette core. The "B" signifies that the CPU runs with a Northwood core and a quad-pumped 133MHz FSB (which is 533MHz).

3) Only 100MHz and 133MHz. The newer P4 Celerons (starting at 1.6 or 1.7GHz, I can't remember offhand) use the old Willamette core and are NOT good CPUs at all... in fact the Tualatin Celerons are probably better overall processors. They do have some marginal overclocking potential but nothing like the Tualatin P3/Celeys, or the Northwood P4's.

Yes, though that would be a "B" chip. But, the important part is that it's a Northwood. A tip off of a Northwood CPU is that a Northwood is ANYTHING running at over 2GHz (Willamettes went up to two GHz), and Northwoods ALWAYS have 512k L2 cache.

And, welcome to the forums Queen of Blades.

I'm not sure what the extra wire is for either, but some Asus boards come with a 4-pin standard molex connector for PSUs that do not have the required P4 wire. Good for those upgrading...

The extra power connects are for more 12v power to the MB, as almost everything on a P4 setup is run off of the 12v rail, thats bad news for power supplies.

Back