• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp 2200?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

junglemonkey

Registered
I want one, and I've had my mind set on the kr7a-raid but it seems like that board doesn't support 2200 yet, should I jump tot he 333 abit for higher performance, etc?

Thanks sonny... but...

What I'm really asking is your advice, if I'm going to overclock I'm not going to unlock, I'm not taking any phsyical modifications to my rig other then maybe some cooling options. Will the XP 2200 be recognized by the KR7A (which is in my opinion the board that gives the most, all reviews I've read are hot **** and from my basic knowledge of overclocking, it seems that it's good for a beginner), or should I step down to the XP 2100 and just overclock to the speed of 2200? I have more questions, but for now i'll just ask this much.

Well you see the problem of being recognized is a far second compared to not even being able to P.O.S.T. with the ABIT KT266A & KT333/CE motherboards. The only available solution is to unlock & since it is only 1 bridge that has to be done plus being the outside bridge at that it is far easier than what the XP/Palomino cores put anyone through.

Don't get me wrong, I have voiced out my opinion about ABIT's lack of forward thinking in another thread here & an email to them, but I am an Overclocker. A minor physical modification to the CPU, which I will do anyways, will not hinder my decision making when it comes time for me to purchase a Palomino or a TBred core CPU.

The only possibility for the current KR7A-/133/RAID or KX7-333/R to even P.O.S.T. is to unlock. That is your dilema with ABIT. Going for a XP2100+/Palomino will limit your FSB when locked. When you decide to unlock an XP2100+/Palomino you will have multipliers 13 - 20.5 & if you want the lower multipliers it will be required to cut another bridge which is more difficult & has a really high possibility of destroying it.

Now it's up to you;
  • XP2200+/TBred = 5mnt unlock & high heat output per square mm
  • XPxxxx+ = Lower possible clockspeed & a lot more difficult to unlock but easier to keep cool
Good Luck:beer:

I'm unfamiliar with this, "P.O.S.T." - But now you've raised more questions (damnit this is really starting to make my head go bonkers...)

Alright, the XP2200 cannot be read on the KR7A without physically modifying it? If that is the truth, then is the KX7-333 capable straight from the box, or am I still going to physically have to modify the chip? (I want to stay as far away from physically touching my board with anything that can destroy it as I can, I'm no good with precision tools)

And I'm reading reports of people able to overclock their ABIT-KR7A boards without unlocking their chips, but after unlocking, being able to get more power out of them. As I said above, I'm not much for precision tools, so would I be able to (if the 2200 does in fact require physical modification) get an XP 2100 (which seems to be compatable with the old KR7A boards after a bios flash) and overclock it to speeds *near* that or *above* that of the XP2200 without unlocking it? I will be running a very cool case, Tornado 3000 and the heatsink/fan combo is the Alpha 8045 and PanaFlo H1A 80mm (or at least the Panaflo was what was suggested to me).

Sorry if I'm bothering you, but I'm really trying to make sure that when I get my monster system I can get the absolute most power out of it straight out of the box that I can. Thanks sonny, so far you're a great help (as well as everyone on these boards)

P.O.S.T. = Power On Self Test;) when your MoBo beeps after a few seconds of hitting the Power button telling you everything is OK & ready to boot up:beer: If it doesnt P.O.S.T. you will not even see anything on the screen so that's why I said.....
Well you see the problem of being recognized is a far second compared to not even being able to P.O.S.T. with the ABIT KT266A & KT333/CE motherboards.
..... as far as being recognized as a TBred.

The current situation of ABIT MoBos be it KT266A/133 or KT333/CE, KR7A-/133/RAID & KX7-333/R respectively, WILL NOT recognize any XP/TBred Core CPU. Unlocking the Tbred is a lot easier than the XP/Palomino Cores since you do not have to fill in any pits & you only need to do one set of dot, 5th L3 Bridge.

If you have anymore questions just ask away:cool:

Alrighty sonny, I'm at work right now but you seem to really know your shiza about all this, care if I send you an IM this weekend, say saturday around 3/4pm eastern? I'd really like to get down and dirty with my specs and get this system set 100% firm so that I can price accordingly and get the proper parts I'll need, etc.

I suggest we keep the conversation on these Forums so that when someone else needs this particular info they can always find it & gives other people a chance to chime in when there is something we can't figure out:)

I check this section often so I don't think the lag will be too much:burn:

I just found out about the new way of unlocking the XP2100 & having the 5-12.5 multipliers available without having to cut any bridges. You still have to fill in the pits for the L1s so the TBred still looks good I think.

ok... i see you writing it, but I just can't help but to feel ignorant with what I'm about to say:

If they don't support the XP tbred anything, then why the hell did they even build the board? - I'm sorry, but I'm going and reading reviews of the KR7A and I'm getting reviews along the lines of, "I'm running my XP 1800 at 17xx mhz without unlocking, such a great board!" and other various things. I'm not saying you're wrong sonny, those blue stars there tell me that you know what you're talking about, but... I'm just very confused as to how they won't even WORK, the whole point of the damned board goes against the theory that they won't work if I just plug it in and go.

I dunno, call me silly (SILLY!). But, I am a n00b

:D

There are 2 kinds of XP CPUs available;
  • XP1500+ - XP2100+ PALOMINO CORE .18 MICRON
  • XP2200 THOROUGHBRED CORE.13 MICRON
The problems lies with the THOROUGHBRED CORE.13 MICRON CPUs, they will have to be unlocked for them to work with ABIT motherboards.

XP2100+ PALOMINO CORE .18 MICRON do not need to be unlocked but O/C will be limited.

:cool:

Alright, see now we're getting somewhere :p

Now... you said that the KX7 doesn't suppor the tbred either, but that confuses me even more, I know that the KR7A was built to handle the lower end processors, but shouldn't a kt333 design be able to handle the higher powers like the Tbred? Are there any boards out there? The epox? I really do feel like a complete newbie at all of this but you are definitly helpful :p

So if the KX7 doesn't support the tbred, when can I as a consumer expect the ABIT kt333 board that will let me pop in my xp2200 and take off with some serious speed?

Got my check today and I'm saving it, but I'd really like to get down and dirty ordering my pieces...

Don't know when ABIT will eventually come out with a proper BIOS update for the TBred. Epox MoBos recognize the TBreds with the 8KA3/+ & have wider(read higher) voltage adjustments for the CPU & Memory BUT you will not have complete controll over the BIOS like in ABIT.

When Sonny said that the XP2200 runs hotter.....he was not just whistling Dixie.:D

The XP2200 is a definite canidate for extreme cooling solutions. A good heatsink and careful monitoring during setup should see one over 2.0Ghz on air, stable. It will break into the 50c range. I found that on water it would break the 50 to 55c range at 2.1Ghz. The highest temp I got on water prior to putting the pelt back in was 58c under load.

alright folks, here is a serious question:

My current wanted selection:

XP2200 using Alpha PAL8045 heatsink and some sort of 80x80 fan (anyone got a suggestion?)
1 Dimm of 512mb PC2100 DDR
ABIT KR7A-Raid

But I've found that's not gonna work, so... would the power on this setup be all that much slower (and also keep in mind I'll be slowly pushing the speed up on the FSB and maybe multipliers a little bit, locked, of course)

XP2100+ using alpha and the fan
1 Dimm of 512mb PC2700 DDR
ABIT KX7-333

Now, if I overclock that setup a little bit, fiddle with it here and there with some help from some of you, maybe get my FSB up a tad and touch the multipliers (i can do that with the KX7-333 right?), I can push about the same speed (if not faster) then the above setup, and NO hardware modification, yes? (and soon the questions over your knowledge of RAM Sonny!)

and just a little extra notice, holy poop I got a little gold star, I'm soooooooooooooo cool (I didn't expect to be here very much, but you guys are so nice and knowledgable I just keep asking :p)

If it were my money it would be;
  • KR7A-133R
  • XP2200 THOROUGHBRED
  • THERMALRIGHT SLK800 with YS-TECH 80mm 84CFM
  • 512MB 3200(which ever fastest I can afford)
  • 550W+ with 50AMP 5V Rail(read expensive)

Why such an expensive PSU? I would like to hit at least 2GHz.

PS not gold but yellow:p

For however much I may be in love with you right now sonny (for answering my questions, that is, and a brotherly love... i don't swing like that.. no, I will not go out with you... no.... NO! Christ, nevermind...) You have this odd habit of not answering a question :p

Would that setup be acceptable for you in terms of "ok"ness? I know it's not the fastest or most powerful you want, but, how poorly would it compare to what you'd take?

junglemonkey said:
XP2200 using Alpha PAL8045 heatsink and some sort of 80x80 fan (anyone got a suggestion?)
1 Dimm of 512mb PC2100 DDR
ABIT KR7A-Raid
Change the HSF to something higher up the chain, click on the second link in my first reply to you for a reliable list. TBreds are hot enough to heat a full sized room. PC2100 maybe the rated max the board supports but higher end memory is always better. Yes the KT266A133 chipset is the fastest for me.
junglemonkey said:
XP2100+ using alpha and the fan
1 Dimm of 512mb PC2700 DDR
ABIT KX7-333
If you really wanted to go with the KT333/CE chipset you have a nice board to play with. Why not go for a good stepping Palomino which would overclock to with 100MHz of a 2100+ clocked? The PAL8045 is a good choice but there are cheaper & better HSF combinations available. Again with memory buy the fastest you can & search throught the memory section so you know what brands to avoid.
junglemonkey said:
Now, if I overclock that setup a little bit, fiddle with it here and there with some help from some of you, maybe get my FSB up a tad and touch the multipliers (i can do that with the KX7-333 right?), I can push about the same speed (if not faster) then the above setup, and NO hardware modification, yes?
I would think the first setup would lose because of the memory you chose to go a long with it. If they had the same kind of memory I would bet on the first setup when done right.

I answer your questions fairly I think, maybe I favor a certain way of thinking that you may not be used to:beer:

Back