• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

duallies or single p4 for video editing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A day at the races

personally I kinda figure if you have a dual rig and your not doing video chances are your dullie is like a shinny red corvette that sits in the garage except when you pull it out to show off to your buddys on the weekends. Most of the software I know of that utilizes smp is video related. Or should I say graphics related, of which video requires the most power- to process an 11,000 pixle picture is on thing, to process 11,000 pixel's per second is still another
anyway like I said its just a personal opinion- from a guy that used to have a supermicro 350 corvette sitting in the garage

untill I figured out where the track was!!!:D

xeon schmeon.

Go to Tyan.com and get you one of those nifty QUAD boards!!! Of course, you'll need the Server version of 2000 (or xp) to run it, but hey: who do you know with a QUAD?

If your refering to the Tyan Thunder GCHE, you'll need Xeon MPs for 4-way support and those have hyperthreading. That means there are at least 2 logical CPUs for each physical CPU. So, in that case if your ran win2k youd need a version that support 8 processors.

http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thundergche.html

Also, the Serverworks Grand champion HE chipset, which is what that board is using, supports quad channel DDR. So, youd have plenty of memory bandwidth (6.4GB/Sec). The only downside is no AGP port, but you've got PCI-X.

As a side question, for anyone that has XP, does it call itself NT6? (2000 calls itself NT5, btw.) Just curious.

I believe it's NT 5.1.

Last edited:
any analog to digital cards that work well and are cheap? like vcr to dvd/mpeg1 or 2

thx

Back