• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Geforce 2 mx broken ? (heavy graphical corruption)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GRiMMi

Registered
Recently my Hercules 3D Prophet II mx has been giving me some corruption in form of small green dots in games and sometimes garbled text in certain desktop programs.

Just this morning I switched it on, and lots of the text in the bootup (dos) screen was garbled. When windows started, the mouse pointer made black trails, and all the text was totally corrupted. Also it had changed itself to 640*480. The card is totally useless as is. I tried reseating it, but that didn't help. It can't be a driver issue either as it was bad in dos as well.
I replaced it with my old TNT2, and it worked fine.

Anyone ever had this sort of stuff ? Anyone know what could be wrong ?
I once attached some ram heatsinks, but later I have removed them. The only possible damages I could have made was a) Scraping the mem chips when removing glue with a razor blade (unlikely), and b) a mark in the board itself when pressing down the screwdriver to make the ramsinks pop off (I have looked for this, and I can't even find a mark ).

I'm clueless...
Would the store replace it even if I have attached ramsinks myself ? There are traces of it so I can't fool them either. I don't think that's what's caused it tho :\

Anyone ?

is it oc now?? it might help turning the ram speed down since i get the same problem if i put it too high.

My MX did something like that once. I reinstalled the drivers, and the worst of the corruption disappeared. I'm still living with some green line's across my screen. I'm not saying that u have the same problem, I just think u should try to reinstall.

As I said it also happens when booting in dos - so it's not a driver nor an overclocking problem - cause neither of those things are loaded until windows starts.. :\

GRiMMi (Jul 29, 2001 01:19 p.m.):
As I said it also happens when booting in dos - so it's not a driver nor an overclocking problem - cause neither of those things are loaded until windows starts.. :

Sorry, I should have read ur post better. My green lines does also appear when booting, and in DOS mode. I THINK ur card is busted. I have also put some HS on my RAM, sounds like we have the same problem.
Could u post a shot of it?

A shot of the graphical anomalies or a shot of the card ?
I don't have a digital camera :\
The graphical anomalies are so bad I don't think I could even manage to save a picture of it...

i had the same problem after i inadvertantly flashed the wrong bois, perhaps your bios is corrupt, woth a try reflashing it mybe

Hmmm... interesting.
It has worked fine up till I got the green dots, and now the corruption.
I have never messed with it's bios...
Some say tho, that reflashing the current bios can fix problems..

I'm having a hard time thinking it's "fried" or destroyed in any physical way... why would it just suddenly do that after working ?

I meant a shot of the corruption.

U have tried to run the card at factory settings, right?
Any luck with flashing the Bios?

Yes it has been running at factory default for the last while.
I found the newest bios from hercules, and flashing it did not help :\

I'm sorry, but I'm running out of Ideas'....
My last Shot: Have u tried to reinstall ur MoBo drivers?

No. And I can assure you and myself that it's not the mobo drivers. Even the text displayed when ONLY the gf2mx has been initialized is garbled. The gf2mx shows it's bios before the system posts or anything. Even then, the text is garbled - at the instant the machine is turned on.

GRiMMi (Jul 29, 2001 05:24 p.m.):
No. And I can assure you and myself that it's not the mobo drivers. Even the text displayed when ONLY the gf2mx has been initialized is garbled. The gf2mx shows it's bios before the system posts or anything. Even then, the text is garbled - at the instant the machine is turned on.

Yep, u are right! I'm sorry, it's getting late at my place, I think I need to go to bed.
Bump this post, and I'm pretty sure someone else will come up with some other suggestions.
Sorry I coulden't help u.

Nps, and thanks for your suggestions...
I guess I'll be trying to remove any trace of tampering and returning it to the store..

GRiMMi (Jul 29, 2001 06:17 p.m.):
I guess I'll be trying to remove any trace of tampering and returning it to the store..

sorry i didnt work it was worth a shot though, good luck on the exchange bro

dozier768 (Jul 29, 2001 08:17 p.m.):
GRiMMi (Jul 29, 2001 06:17 p.m.):

sorry i didnt work it was worth a shot though, good luck on the exchange bro

Thanks, I appreciate it. I just explained my problem to Hercules Tech Support, and they said they would take it back. So if my store doesn't, I'll try sending it to them.

Back