• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

shutting down xp from the command line

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hooziewhatsit

Hey all, I'm looking for something like the command you can use in 98 to shutdown the computer (rundll32.exe shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1)

that will work under winXP. I've tried the shutdown -s -f -t 01, but all that does is shutdown to the 'now safe to turn off your computer' screen.

That does me no good, since I want it to power off. I want to make MBM run this command when my cpu gets too hot.

if anyone knows the command, or a way to make the shutdown command power off the comp, I'd greatly appreciate it.

thanks

hmm, when I try to unrar that file, it gives me errors. Can you repost it, or just email it to me?

also, whenever the alarm does go off, it says that there is an error is shell32.dll, that it's missing the entry: SHExitWindowsEx

one more thing...
the dialog box from mbm pops up, then takes around a minute before it would shutdown the comp, then it restarts the countdown...

thanks for the help.

update: I just tried about a dozen programs, and all they do is shutdown my comp to the screen "it's now safe to turn off your computer"
I have acpi enabled, so that shouldn't be a problem.
hmm...

Last edited:
It sounds like you may have already tried this...

In MBM under "Temperatures" | "Alarm" | Put a check mark in the following box..."When alarm goes off start application" (to the right of the checkbox there is a folder, click it and find shutdown.exe). The "shutdown.exe" file can be found in the C:\Windows\System32 directory.

Under "Start application with switch", I believe you would enter shutdown -s

The only other thing I can think of (that I know will work with XP, in conjunction with MBM) is "ShutDown NOW" available from the following site...

http://www.dworld.de/shdnintern.htm

...just run the *.exe contained within the *.zip, open MBM and place a check mark in "When alarm goes off start SHDN". ;)

Back