• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2k Install Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

djb23

Hey all.
I have acquired a MSDN version (ie unbootable) of Win2k. I want to try installing it on an old 4 gig Quantum Fireball (its actually legal. my college has an agreement with Microsoft for free distribution of Win2k in exchange for stocking only Microsoft Hardware and Software in the campus store [a large store]).

I made the set of 4 boot disks from my work Win2k computer and used them to start the Win2k installation. It formatted clean (tried both NTFS and FAT32) and started to install the Win2k temp files. It then tried to reboot to continue with the installation. But it could not load into Windows and said it "could not find ntdl".

I tried booting from my Win98 boot disk, then nagivated to the I386 directory on the disk and ran winnt.exe. This deleted the temp files and tried to re-copy them and continue. When it got to ntdll.dll it said it could not copy it over. Am I hosed? It it possibly a problem with an old hard disk? I wouldn't think so because its the same file that has been having the problems.

Any suggestions? I am building a new computer and don't particularly feel like buying a full version of windows...especially if the hard drive is shot.

Thanks for any help.

Back