• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final pickings of homemade watercooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Garfield

I pretty much understand the workings of the watercooling system. And now it's time for me to start choosing the specific components of watercooling and where to get them (links to sites). I'm going to have this as a "home-made" watercooling system and choose separate parts and put them together (not kits).

I guess the first thing to know which to get would be the waterblock. Socket A (processor in sig). Which is the best one to go for? Safe, reliable, and effective. What do you suggest and where could I get it?

Thanks! :D

Garfield

For your waterblock, I suggest either the DangerDen maze3, from www.dangerden.com , of the Swiftech UH block from www.swifnets.com

The maze3 is available at DD and any of its distributors, same for the Swiftech block

For your radiator, I definatly suggest a HeaterCore from a car. You can try AutoZone and try to get a 89' Chevy Camaro radiator.

For your pump, eheim is probably most trustable. You can find distributors here . You should be able to find any mag drive in any aquarium store. There are others which are equally as good and less expensive such as Via Aqua 1300, Danner ect.

Tubing, I suggest to go with tygon as it is very flexable and non-reactive to water over long persiods of time. I would suggest to go with 1/2" fittings as that will allow most water to pass through.

Rest assured that you can ask ANY question you want here because we have MANY experience people here, not including me however :-( (yet ;) )

You can try to find different parts here, here, or here

There are severl stores round in the USA, you just gotta search for em. Hope this helps.

I would go with the spir@l block from D-tek. I had a maze3 and it performed right on par with my spir@l, but I prefer the looks of the spir@l over the maze3, and also the hardware with the spir@l is much nicer.

FRAGN'STIEN said:
I would go with the spir@l block from D-tek. I had a maze3 and it performed right on par with my spir@l, but I prefer the looks of the spir@l over the maze3, and also the hardware with the spir@l is much nicer.

Where's this "D-tek" (link) you speak of?

I'm over at DD looking at the Maze3 waterblock, and to buy it it has all of these options! Like, what fitting type would I want? Would I want the "AMD Processor Lucite Top"? Do I need extra holes? Which top would I want? What exactly are "O-rings"? Would I need extra mounting?

Yeah, I'm thinking the maze3 is what I'm going to go for. But what about all of those options?

And, the maze3-1, what is the difference? Does that one just come with a peltier (I don't think I'm going to start out with a peltier)?

The Maze 3-1 is just a normal Maze 3 with a special cold plate bloted to it. That way later on if you want to run with a pelt you can. If you get the Maze 3-1 don't run it with the cold plate unless you have a pelt with it.

Okay, I'm not going to go with a peltier, I don't think.

About the pumps at DD, which one should I get (I'm looking at the eheims)? What are the actual differences between them?

I'm still looking at these eheims, and not sure the differences. Are the just how hard the water is pumped and how much water can be held in them? Are those the differences? Which one is the best to go with for watercooling?

the different models are the different flowrate capacities of the pumps. if you have larger channel equip with mostly 1/2" stuff, i'd go with the 1250 eheim, otherwise, if you have small channel stuff, go with the 1046

SkiFletch said:
the different models are the different flowrate capacities of the pumps. if you have larger channel equip with mostly 1/2" stuff, i'd go with the 1250 eheim, otherwise, if you have small channel stuff, go with the 1046

When you say "channel", do you mean the width of the tubes and the distance that the water has to travel to get back to the pump?

Back