• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermalright AX7 or Alpha PAL 8045

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mike K

Which is the better performer? I think the AX7 because it is highly ranked on the hs performance rankings on the front page. But I just can't be sure until I ask.:) Also, I have a 50cfm Ys tech fan, will that be sufficient with the AX7? Or will I have to get a more powerful fan? I don't want a loud Tornado fan or anything like that because I want to be able to hear games when I play them. But I sorta like the way that the PAL mounts. I just want good performance, I don't move my computer alot, if that helps you any. This is provided that an 80mm heatsink can fit on an 8K3A+. The AX7 will probably fit because it is curved but I don't know about the PAL. Which one will give better performance?

I'm using an 8045 on an 8KHA+ board, but I had to do a slight modification so that it would fit. I had to grind a small divot on 1 side of it to clear a cap on the board, but no other problems mounting it. As far as which 1 to go with, I would say to go with the 1 that will be cheaper for you to buy as they are both great performing heatsinks. If your 8K3A+ board is set up like my 8KHA+, then you'll need to mod the heatsink for clearance around that 1 cap on the board if you go with the 8045.

Well I just found out that an 80mm hs can fit on my board. And the AX7 is cheaper and is a little smaller so it should fit. I guess these perform just about the same. I thought the AX7 would have an advantage because of the copper base. I don't know what to get. I can get a PAL for $28 shipped with a 50cfm Sunon which I already have one, or I can get a AX7 for $27 shipped.

I have a pal 8045 and an 8k3a+ and it fits just fine. Installation was nice and easy too. Don't need to worry about breaking anything. Performance is pretty good to. I have one of those adjustable enermax fans set to full speed blowing down. If only I would get my case cooler it would be excellent.

Last edited:
well, all my AMD rigs (included those 2 duallie) r using AX-7 w/ Panaflow high output fan (ONLY 32db!!). very quiet and very good. it cools the CPUs 'bout 10C above mobo temp under full load (SETI) w/ 1.85v~1.9v.!! i love it!!

If I had to pick one it would probably be the Pal 8045. I like the mounting scheme and the design...I feel that it has slightly more potential than the AX7...but we are splitting hairs here.

The mounting system on the Pal requires the removal of the mobo...if you dont like that then go with the AX7.

mounting the heatsink is a cinch..i can have the board out, heatsink on, and the computer restarted within 20 minutes...it fits nicely on the 8k3a+, as you can see my temps are pretty good, and prolly would be better with better case airflow...the pal works really well with any 80mm fan out there...the ax7 requires a higher cfm fan, because the copper is visible...even though copper takes heat out of stuff faster...it takes more airflow to take the heat out of the thing...thats why its good the pal is mostly alum. only a small copper insert. and seeing as how xp's are much cooler than tbirds...due to more surface area, and lower voltage....i cant wait to get an xp chip. that 50 cfm sunon would be PERFECt for the alpha...pretty quiet fan, yet alot of cfm. the pal is alot safer when it comes to the mounting...no chance of it ripping out...or you will have alot bigger problem then a fried cpu.....even though the ax-7 uses all 6 clips...theres still a chance of it breaking...which the alpha doesnt have.

alpha all the way...it looks cooler too!

welll...abit off topic but I really prefer the MCX462...more bettah :D and prettier. But the differences between the three are only like 5c so it's all up to the buyer. I just like the way the MCX looks, performs, mounts. Oh yah...I get them free...a benefit of knowing Gabe! (he owns Swiftech)

I had/have both, I sold my Alpha cause it needs a good fan to work well, the AX-7 works well with a lower speed fan, which is what I wanted, quiet.

Jim

Friend said:
welll...abit off topic but I really prefer the MCX462...more bettah :D and prettier. But the differences between the three are only like 5c so it's all up to the buyer. I just like the way the MCX looks, performs, mounts. Oh yah...I get them free...a benefit of knowing Gabe! (he owns Swiftech)

You want to get it for me free too? ;)

Well, I have the Alpha PAL8045. The AX7 may be better at performance but I hate lugs. I snapped 2 awhile ago, and the bolts and nuts are much more secure for me. I also heard the AX7 was a PITA to get on and off. I really don't like using the screw driver to mount things either :/

The Alpha PAL8045 works best if you want a low dBA fan, and doesn't benefit too much from a high one, whereas the AX7 really shines at a high CFM fan.

Yodums

Right now I am leaning towards the Alpha because I don't want a loud fan. But if the AX7 will really get the temp down with a loud fan, I might reconsider. Why won't the PAL benefit from a high cfm fan? What are the weight of the two heatsinks?

to m_mike_k

I think the reason why the alpha doesnt perform as well with a high cfm fan is because it was designed for a medium speed fan. So it performs better with a medium fan than other large heatsinks with same fan or close to the same but after you go past a certain cfm you dont gain hardly any improvement. I think it has to do with how many~how thin the aluminum rods are and how long they are. I agree, if you want a quiet heatsink the alpha is hard to be beat if you only want bolt onto the mobo heatsink unless its free :D free swiftys would be awesome but ohwell

let me remind you of something, temps really dont mean much when you cant do anything with them, for an example,

get a 1600+ oced to 1800mhz on an ax-7 and tornado fan 35c
same 1600+ oced to 1800mhz on a alpha with a QUIET fan at 45c

it doesnt make a diff temps dont matter unless you need it to get a higher overclock... and if you dont need the noize why get it?

and another thing, if i was to be able to overclock that same 1600+ to 1850 or 1900mhz on the ax-7/tornado and only 1800 on the alpha, i would choose the alpha. that extra 50-100mhz just aint worth the untollerable noize

that makes alot of sense, at a certain point deminishing returns hit and its not worth it to most people. For those that LAN half the fun is showing off. Another reason 7v mod switches ~baybus etc are used....since they may normally not want super loud fans all the time.

Yodums said:

You want to get it for me free too? ;)

Well, I have the Alpha PAL8045. The AX7 may be better at performance but I hate lugs. I snapped 2 awhile ago, and the bolts and nuts are much more secure for me. I also heard the AX7 was a PITA to get on and off. I really don't like using the screw driver to mount things either :/

The Alpha PAL8045 works best if you want a low dBA fan, and doesn't benefit too much from a high one, whereas the AX7 really shines at a high CFM fan.

Yodums

I would LIKE to but we have an agreement that I solicit only for myself...sorry dude!~! dont be mad!

Yodums,

I think you have that backwards, my alpha hated low cfm fans and my AX-7 loves them, core never goes above 30C with a 21db 80mm panaflo.

Jim

Back