• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP - 8KHA+ Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neonsigns

Registered
Hello all

Here are the specs for my PC:
EPOX 8KHA+
AMD Duron Spitfire 900MHz @ 1.06GHz (133*8)
256MB Crucial PC2100
256MB PNY PC2100
WD 20.5GB ATA66 HDD
ATI RAGE 32MB AGP

It was running perfectly fine till last night. I decided to install an IDE RAID0 with a Promise FastTrak66 and two WD 40GB HDDs I had. I had also noticed that the CPU was running at a pretty high temp since the last couple of days. I think that it might have moved from its place when I was trying to install the second stick of memory. So, I took the CPU and heatsink out, put on a layer of Arctic Silver and put the heatsink back. Then I installed the RAID card and the HDDs. When I tried to boot up, the BIOS screen does not even show up and no beep either. It LED on the mobo flashes between codes C1 and C0. I have tried reseting the BIOS with the jumpers, tried to run with with just the bare miminums (CPU, RAM and video only), used only one stick of RAM (both of them) but the same code. When I try pressing the INSERT key, it still does not beep but the code changes to FF for a while and then to C1 and C0. The HDD light stays on too. What happened to my system? It was working fine 12 hours ago! I am desparately in need of help ... please help ...

Thank you

The C0 and C1 post codes relate to memory initialization and detection. My only suggestion would be to try reseating your RAM...I've found on my board anyway, that the RAM needs to be pushed down rather firmly and evenly (sometimes I think I'm going to break the board, because of the force needed to seat the modules...it's a very tight fit). Make sure that when seating the RAM, you hear two audible clicks (from when the clips lock the module into position)...then push it down evenly again, just to make sure it's fully seated.

I've read about numerous people with the same experience with these post codes, who ended up RMA'ing their board...only to find out that there was nothing wrong with it (they just needed to be a little more forceful with seating the RAM. ;)

Epox boards are a little flexible & having bumped the HSF could have cause a no contact area between the HSF & CPU resulting in a fried chip. Well that's the 2nd worst thing that could happen.

One other thing that may (or may not ) be helpful: I get the best results on 8KHA+'s with my ram in the first or last slots. I don't use the middle at all.

If you can get past the post code problem and it still won't fully boot take out the cmos battery and wait a half hour, then clear cmos and try again.

Good luck!

c1 code are ram issues try reseating i've had those codes b4 jus blow out the slots and inspect if there is any dust in there and reseat the ram it should fire up useing the 1st slot the close to the cpu is also helpful for some reason my ram wont run with out at least on ram in the 1st slot.

I tried the RAM on all the slots and tried pushing them as far as possible ... no luck though. I then pulled the RAM out and powered up without any RAM ... still CO, C1. Next I installed the RAM but pulled the CPU out and powered up with out CPU. This time, I still did not get to the BIOS screen, neither did it beep like it normally used too but I got the FF code on the LED. Does this mean that my CPU is fried? Any furthers tests that I can perform (without getting a new CPU) to make sure? I appreciate any kind of help.

u only have one stick of ram?? c1 code are ram related. if u can test the ram or get another one try that out

btw when u removed and reinstalled ur hsf u didnt happen to put a screwdriver though ur board on the right of the hsf did u?? check the traces for broken traces the traces on the right lead to ur rams even one broken trace will cos ram problems

I have to sticks of RAM ... the second one I bought about 3 days ago from Best Buy. Both of them give me C0, C1. When I do it without any RAM, I still get C0, C1 ... but when I do it with the RAM but no CPU, then I get no C0, C1 ... instead I get FF ?? Damn, I wish I had another CPU to try out ...

I will clean up the RAM slots and reseat the RAM and check if it works. I will post after that. Thanks all for the help.

this is happening to me too. I cleaned the slots, tried 4 different video cards, reseated the memory in 3 slots and still beeping and the c1 error.

I clean both the memory modules and the slots - vacuumed it ... blowed it ... wiped it ... all the works. I am still geting the same errors. I only have the memory, cpu and video plugged in. With memory and with cpu I get C0, C1, C0, C1 .. so on. Without cpu and with memory, I get FF. Without memory and with CPU, I still get blinking C0, C1. I am starting to think it might be the CPU. What do you guys think?

Hello all

I just got a new CPU thinking it was the problem but still no luck. Without memory, I get a steady C1 error and with any of the 2 sticks on any slots I get a blinking led C0 ... C1 ... C0 ... C1 ...
Has anyone had a similar problem. I am desparate ... please help

well dont run raid and see wat happens if u've done that. then well u've tryed everything else i think its time to rma ur board.
c1 c0 errors are definetly ram initializing error but if u said u tryed different ram and still no luck then i think ur board is dead

It was the CPU socket that was giving me the problem. I vacuumed the socket with my Hoover and it is working fine now. Thanks for all the help

That seems strange that the cpu socket was dirty. When you redid the a.s. did you remove the cpu from the socket? Dust is the devel. vigalance is the key. I clean out my rigs at least once a month.

CrazyBorne said:
think i can rma my epox, i had it for like 4-5 months.

That depends on where you bought it and whats wrong with it. If it has quit working due to a malfunction and you have the receipt you can at a minimum contact epox for warranty work. If you bought it @ newegg or some other reputable company you may have a small chance that they will take it back. If you screwdrivered the board or broke off a diode or something, well you are S0L.

Back