• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 98se shuts down then restarts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gogeto

Registered
Hi
I was wondering if this problem has happened to other people, and if it could be fixed.

I recently upgraded my system with a sis as40gt mobo and a celeron 1.7ghz cpu. The system is fine except when I shutdown the computer it will restart it self. No im not selecting restart. I have tried shuting down in safe mode and it acts like it shuts down because I heard the hard drive stop spinning, then starts up again. I didnt have this problem until this upgrade. I have tried all the microsoft patches again and no go. Wonder if its a bios problem. Any ideas

thanks.

Your shutdown problem may very well be related to a BIOS setting (normally ACPI-"Advanced Configuration Power Interface" related). If your Shuttle BIOS does indeed have the option of enabling/disabling ACPI (normally found under "Power Management Setup" in the BIOS), and you find the setting of "Disabled"...I would suggest setting it to "Enabled", reformat and reinstall Windows.

It could also be related to the internal BIOS coding, which can only be rectified by flashing to an updated BIOS...unfortunately Shuttle hasn't released an updated BIOS for this board yet. If your computer doesn't shut down properly in Safe mode, it's probably safe to say that there's a compatibility issue between your board's BIOS and Win98.

If you have a USB mouse plugged directly into a USB port, you may want to try using a USB to PS2 adapter...and plugging directly into a PS2 port. I've encountered shutdown issues similar to yours, and found that (because of the BIOS revision I was using at the time), my USB mouse had to be relocated to the PS2 port...in order for the PC to shutdown properly. Later BIOS revisions solved this problem.

It could also be a Win98 related issue, so I've included a couple of links to the MSKB relating to troubleshooting Win98 shutdown problems...

Problems Shutting Down Windows 98 Second Edition

How to Troubleshoot Windows 98 Shutdown Problems

You could also check to make sure that "Fast Shutdown" is disabled in Windows...

Start | Run | type msconfig, then click OK | "General" tab | Advanced. Click to select the "Disable fast shutdown" check box, click OK, and then click OK again. Restart your computer. ;)

Last edited:
Thanks for the info

Im gonna reformat windows. I agree with you its a bios problem or an acpi problem.

Back