• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Quick VMOD kit question... how to ground

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I suggest that you use an ohmeter, and connect one terminal to the ground lug, and the other one to the tip of the grabber, and see what reading you get. Do this with the kit separate from the mobo.

While it's attached to the meter, turn the adjustment one way, and then the other, and note which way increases, or decreases the resistance.

Set the kit to 47K ohms

Hook it up to the mobo, grounding it to one of the screws that hold down the mobo to your case. you don't neeed to remove the mobo to do this. Just loosen the screw a little, slip the spade connector under it, and re-tighten it.

Boot up the mobo into the bios screen where you can monitor the VCore. (not the screen you set it in)

Slowly turn the pot in the direction that decreases the resistance.

You should be able to watch your voltage rise.

Good luck, and let me know how you make out............

:)

Doc

i dont know what a ohmeter is but my grandfather just told me that he has a multimeter and he is going to give it to me sometime soon (not soon enough tho cause larry allready mailed out another kit) so i can check it with that thing

Emericana, your just not turning it enough. if im not mistaken, and i have Larry's kit on my KX7, than its a 500k varioable, and it needs to be put down to like 30 before any changes in voltage occur. just boot it up, jump to health monitoring in the bios, and keep turning it one at a time until u see the vcore start rising.

and Larry, i couldnt find your thread for the Kits,, but i desparately need 2 more. the damn OVP kicks in at 2.05:(, and i cant do **** with this chip that low. and a little more DIMM voltage is needed too to hit 166.
you would be my favorite person in the world if u can sell me 2 more
YGPM

Malakai said:
Emericana, your just not turning it enough. if im not mistaken, and i have Larry's kit on my KX7, than its a 500k varioable, and it needs to be put down to like 30 before any changes in voltage occur. just boot it up, jump to health monitoring in the bios, and keep turning it one at a time until u see the vcore start rising.

and Larry, i couldnt find your thread for the Kits,, but i desparately need 2 more. the damn OVP kicks in at 2.05:(, and i cant do **** with this chip that low. and a little more DIMM voltage is needed too to hit 166.
you would be my favorite person in the world if u can sell me 2 more
YGPM

Thanx for your help on that one Malakai!

Here's Larry's link........

:)

Doc

i allready discussed this to larry over PM but the kit was broken. i hooked it up to the multimeter and got the results a broken one would.

Malakai... OMFG you got it to work for me!

i allready emailed larry and apoligized hehe.

after turning it counter clockwise around 100 times the voltage FINALLY started to rise! right now i am runnin at 1.92v at 1800mhz! i just finished 5 run throughs of 3dmark with everything at its absolute max (8x anios, 1600x1200, 4x AA) at 1800mhz and it didnt crash! At 1.85v it would crash within 5seconds! I am about to run prime 95 at 1800mhz and see if its stable.

Thank you again malakai!

btw that was 10x180. Previously the highest STABLE i could get w/ the 10x mult was 10x140.

Right now after 3dmark CPU=42C and Case=28C
I bet i will be all set cooling wise up to 1.975v.

Hopefully i can get 1850mhz or higher!

The condition was described to me as an open circuit.

A new kit has been sent at no-charge to replace the faulty one.

I have told Emericana not to send me ANY MONEY...NOT UNTIL THIS IS SORTED OUT!

NOT one red cent has changed hands...and I would refuse any as long as this issue remains with his kit!

I would prefer to remain solution oriented on this matter..

I have arranged to get the faulty unit back so that I can identify the root cause of the failure.

At this point it could be anything from shipping damage to a cold solder joint. Speculation is useless...but once it's in my hand I'll know in moments..

If there are any corrective actions that I need to take to insure this doesn't happen again they will be performed.

Larry

larry did you get my email?

anyways it wasnt stable at 1.9v at 1800mhz but so far it appears to be at 1.95v I will let it run through the night...

btw not that bad temps for quiet air cooling eh?

That's GREAT NEWS!

You can keep both kits if you like. Just adjust the cost accordingly.

Or just return one of them with your payment.

No need to include extra $$....
Thanks for the offer tho....

Larry

i think that it was the mobo. Abit must do something cause it literally took me at least 50 full rotations counter clockwise to get the thing to go up .01v (ie from 1.85 to 1.86) then after that it took 1 full counter clockwise rotation to get it another .01v up.

Now it has been running prime for a few hours at 1.95v at 1800mhz so i think i finally accomplished my long goal of achieving that speed! (wasnt even close to getting it on a 1900+ AGKGA 4) before it would do around 1740mhz stabaly on the majority of mults but on 9.5 it would do 1765mhz. Now it will not do any higher on 9.5 mult but on 10x i think it will do 1800! running 10x180 now and looks real real good. hopefully i will get it to go higher.

thanks a ton man

Larrys kits are the BOMB, they helped me save my mb's life because if i woulda tryed to solder it woulda messed up. at first i thought mine was broke also but i did a total of about 25-30 turns and whamo more power :)

I pre-set all of the kits to MAX resistance before they ship.

This way your "Safe" when you first install it.

There are about 25 full turns in the trimmer.

An alternate method of setting the trimmer is to "Pre-Set" it to what ever resistance your looking for using an ohm-meter.

That way you will only have to tweek the trimmer to get exactly the v-core you want.

Down side is ...you better KNOW the resistance for your particular MB.

If you set it too low you could overvolt your CPU.

Glad you like the kits!

Larry

Back