• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

peltier for duron, air cooled?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

z_z

As a starting point, I was considering following the diagram for one of the contest winners
"Fandapter (60mm to 80mm) for the Alpha PEP66"
I was hoping to construct a quieter cooling solution for a Duron which I would like to overclock (a 700 on a A7V pushed to 1G+?), and liked the idea of using a peltier, and the setup described in that article. The contact for purchasing the items has not returned my e-mail and seeking advice here. I'm currently using some type of orb, which is louder than a 20" box fan.
The case I'm using is an enlight tower with an 80mm intake fan which I wish I could replace with a 120mm, a 80mm opening in the back for an exhaust fan, and a power supply that seems to do a good job of pulling air from the right spot.
Is this air-cooled peliter a whacko idea for my application, or does anyone wish to share tips?
Thanks,
Jeff

Your Idea is good. however there is one problem. The Durons are very hard to cool down. The total heat from your Duron/peltier(s) will be way too much for the Alpha, even with extreme Air flow.

If you want to run peltiers, and get temp drop that really matters (20c+ drop under load) you need at least 150w setup for a Duron. Then the total heat will be like 200w+. No Air cooling setup can handle that.

If you want to use peltier with your Duron you need BIG watercooling setup. :)

Eriksson (Dec 22, 2000 03:13 a.m.):
Your Idea is good. however there is one problem. The Durons are very hard to cool down. The total heat from your Duron/peltier(s) will be way too much for the Alpha, even with extreme Air flow.

If you want to run peltiers, and get temp drop that really matters (20c+ drop under load) you need at least 150w setup for a Duron. Then the total heat will be like 200w+. No Air cooling setup can handle that.

If you want to use peltier with your Duron you need BIG watercooling setup. :)
Unfourtunetly Eriksson is correct, you will not see very good results with an air cooled peltier+duron setup. I recomend taking the money you planned on using for the peltier and heatsink and spending it on a plan jane liquid cooling setup.

Back