• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Promise Big Problems Instaling Os Into A Kt3-ultra Aru

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

scandisk

Registered
hello from Spain, in Europe, and sorry, but our english level it´s a bit low... but we try it.

We buy a new MSI KT3 UltraARU motherboard. A shot description of the system:
- AMD K7 XP 200+, 512 Mb DDR, 80Gb HD Seagate 7.200rpm
- Nvidia RivaTNT2 M64 (it´s a server, don´t need more).
- 2 Network cards (Ovislink and 3Com)

If we install Windows XP Proffesional or Windows Milenium Edition into HD when it´s connected to the VIA IDE CONTROLLER of the motherboard... all works fine. We install all drivers (sound, RAID...) and OK, but the Promise RAID Utility say to us: Unable to find the RAID controller, Do you want to continuy running the utility? ... or something like that.

If we unplug the HD (with all drivers instaled) and connect to the PROMISE IDE RAID connector... when we turn on the system, the OS (WinXP or WinME) don´t works and don´t running. An sometimes, after a blank screen, the system turn off.

If we try to install Windows XP Proffesional or Windows ME into a HD connected directly to the PROMISE IDE RAID of the motherboard, using the original drivers (and using the latest drivers of Internet), Windows XP can´t run a full instalation, and say to us after a reebot: UNABLE TO FIND A BOOT DRIVE.

The BOOT Secuence in BIOS: 1) CD-ROM, 2) Floppy, 3) RAID controller, 4) Try another devices.

We don´t use any kind of RAID (0 or 1).

What we can do? How to make works the Promise RAID controller? Bad drivers? A problem with XP and ME?

Please HELP.:argue:

Well, first of all, why do you need to use the IDE RAID controller if you're not using a RAID 0 or RAID 1 configuration?

Secondly, there's usually some kind of RAID BIOS that you need to get into to set up any drives connected to the RAID controllers - whether you're actually using the RAID feature or not.

Thirdly, I take it you're getting prompted for the storage controller driver early in WinXP Pro installation and you're supplying it...

Fourthly, I think your boot order should have something about IDE RAID in it, which if you have your drive connected to the RAID controller, is what you would want to be your first boot device.

Some things to think about.

sb

Thanks to all, but we found a solution...

It´s the easyest way: AT BIOS MENU, DISABLE ALL USB SUPPORT, ALL THE SOUND.... and after that, try to install Win2K Server or WinXP Proffesional/home operating system.

And WORKS FINE!. After installing OS and Promise Drivers, you can ENABLE USB support and SOUND, installing drivers and ALL WORKS FINE.

Something like this happen with a Gigabyte GA7DXR+

Back