• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OC Dictionary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Oh, you should also add: Rub bar soap along saw blades before cutting, as it helps reduce friction and helps the blade from clogging up too fast.

Penguin4x4 said:
Oh, you should also add: Rub bar soap along saw blades before cutting, as it helps reduce friction and helps the blade from clogging up too fast.

"Cutting Oil" works well, too. ;) Pretty much any type of oil/lubricant will work for that (used motor oil, transmission fluid, etc...). I think an oil might work a little better than soap, but I've never tried it... (the soap, I mean)

BTW, Well done, Cap'n.

#13 said:

"Cutting Oil" works well, too. ;) Pretty much any type of oil/lubricant will work for that (used motor oil, transmission fluid, etc...). I think an oil might work a little better than soap, but I've never tried it... (the soap, I mean)

BTW, Well done, Cap'n.

Thanks #13...
And Yes, this isn't a guide for how to use tools. It's a general guide for overclocking as a whole. I highly prefer cutting oil and it's vital for all metal-working, but most generic case modding doesn't involve cutting a large amount of metal (or larger thicknesses).

CAN Someone PLEASE add some more definitions...
I'm missing alot of water-cooling definitions since I have little experience in that area...
I also need someone to add an accurate description of Dba and CFM since I'm kinda brain fried from paint killers ATM...

Last edited:
Terms missing...

Stealth mod

Alot of technical information that I forgot about (like CFM, Dba, and a few others)

Water-Cooling parts and techniques (like bongs, evaporators, radiators, etc.)

This is a community project/resource so I think everyone is capable of contributing...

Penguin4x4 said:

Use cutting oil or some Grease (some thing thick)
not only does its make the blade cut better but also makes it stay sharp for longer too
At home i just use Car Grease ...cheep I use it for cutting, drilling, Tapping (threds as in nut n bolts LOL)

when tapping holes turn the tap 360' then do a half turn back its helps to stop the tap from getting clogged up with swarf (Slivers)

I'm an Engineer (tool & Die maker) Looking for Work as soon as iv got my Canadian Immigration pappers :rolleyes: bloody red tape :mad:

Wish I knew about water cooling, but I've only just started w/ air. I might go hybrid sometime, though...

Ive seen some good def.'s of dba, cfm, etc. on the forums. I'll look if I get bored (that's quite likely, I'm afraid...). Stick it, or at least tell what it needs to get stuck!

Updated with: CFM, DbA, Folding@Home, and SETI@Home

I'll update this every week to keep it growing. It will eventually be complete as I find more definitions.

i dont think forums are a good place for this, you need some html on this. so that you can link recent updates etc etc... its way to hard to find anything you want in a list that big anyway. get this on geocities or something.

Demont said:
i dont think forums are a good place for this, you need some html on this. so that you can link recent updates etc etc... its way to hard to find anything you want in a list that big anyway. get this on geocities or something.

Yeah... but then I couldn't link to it in the forum and new members couldn't find this as a resource when they search the forums.

It's fairly easy to search through since I put the terms in bold.
I might make them larger so they can be read while scrolling.

why couldnt you make a post with a link to it and ask for it to become a sticky?

I thought after all of your hard work (good job CS!)I could contribute a little something:

Thermal Adhesive is a compound (preferably electrically non-conductive) used to permanently cement two flat surfaces together in applications where heat is a factor. Commonly used to place heatsinks on video and system ram chips.

Thermal Paste is a compound used to ensure complete coverage of the CPU by the heatsink. This allows for better transfer of heat from the CPU to the heatsink. A good thermal paste should be electrically non-conductive.

Thermal Tape is a double sided tape that is electrically non-conductive. Commonly used to hold heatsinks on video and system ram chips. A slightly inferior solution to thermal adhesive because coverage and heat transfer are not as good.

Back