• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OC Dictionary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Whoa, that dictionary looks a whole lot like the one here: http://www.directron.com/moddictionary.html . Apparently you have two real names and you post to different websites without acknowledging the other places you've posted to :eh?:
I'd hate to be such a buzzkill, but please give credit where credit is due (unless Directron stole your stuff). For some reason Ed linked to Directron rather than the forums on the front page.
I don't see what's wrong with using their dictionary as a foundation, as long as we have permission. Of course, reproduction is only "prohibited."
My bad if there's a misunderstanding. No hard feelings.

SirDennis said:
Whoa, that dictionary looks a whole lot like the one here: http://www.directron.com/moddictionary.html . Apparently you have two real names and you post to different websites without acknowledging the other places you've posted to :eh?:
I'd hate to be such a buzzkill, but please give credit where credit is due (unless Directron stole your stuff). For some reason Ed linked to Directron rather than the forums on the front page.
I don't see what's wrong with using their dictionary as a foundation, as long as we have permission. Of course, reproduction is only "prohibited."
My bad if there's a misunderstanding. No hard feelings.

I thought I mentioned that here but it appears I only did so in the thread where the idea for this thread was originally brought up.
This dictionary was inspired by the somewhat complete mod dictionary at Directron. But I wanted to let everyone (and me) add their 2 cents to the whole thing as a resource for new members.

Editing now...

additional info

you forgot the complete basics :)

however basic and obvious these may seem, i think you should include them because this is a guide for noobs right? I entered the world of overclocking about a week ago... I had NO idea what these meant and i diddnt want to post a freaking thread on what they meant.

RMA

OEM

HSF

HS

Velocity Stack

CFM

Palomino

Tbread

There are more out there... Ill post anything that im clueless about :)

you said earlyer that this wasnt a hardware instruction booklet (or something to that extent) but as seeing that i am a noob, i think you should tell WHAT tools that would be appropriate for whatever the job and what to look if you wanted to do it.

dont forget OBO, i didnt know what that meant for the longest time. :D

(not really strictly computer related but you will be seeing in the classifieds a lot, it stands for 'Or Best Offer' btw )

Re: additional info

/\\/3|2o said:
you forgot the complete basics :)

I'm bored again (big suprise). I'm adding all the ones you requested now...

HSF & CFM are already on the list.

HSF = Heatsink Fan
HS = Heatsink (without the fan)

Last edited:

/\\/3|2o said:
you said earlyer that this wasnt a hardware instruction booklet (or something to that extent) but as seeing that i am a noob, i think you should tell WHAT tools that would be appropriate for whatever the job and what to look if you wanted to do it.

Most of the time the tools used will be included in a How-To tutorial. Which is not what this Dictionary is meant to be.

Each of those tools have an infinite number of uses.

Okay, instead of killing myself making each entry title larger, I added a tip about seraching for words in the browser.

Just search for a term and the browser automatically highlights the nearest instance.

/\\/3|2o said:
Velocity Stack

Velocity Stacks aren't useful for computer cooling, they're used in automotive design to make uniform air flow in intake manifolds.
Computer fans move air slower. A Velocity Stack would actually impede fan performance.

Namagomi said:
OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer

Gracias. The only credit I can receive (as far as this guide is concerned) is all the time I spent retyping and editing it for use in the forums (oh, about 5 hours of editing).

NEW TERMS ADDED: OBO, OEM, RMA, Stealth Mod

Last edited:
Back