• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The OC Dictionary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Demont said:
i dont think you've is an improper contraction like you said in the YGPM def.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=you've

Saying "You've Got" would equate to "You Have Got"

"You've" is hard to use in proper context because it works better to simply use "You" instead.

like..

"You killed my dog" sounds better than "You've killed my dog"

"You've/You have" is meant to emphasize a past tense than would be highlighted by a past-tense verb anyways.

So, yes. You've is a proper contraction. But an ill-used and unuseful one.

Captain Slug said:

Saying "You've Got" would equate to "You Have Got"

"You've" is hard to use in proper context because it works better to simply use "You" instead.

like..

"You killed my dog" sounds better than "You've killed my dog"

"You've/You have" is meant to emphasize a past tense than would be highlighted by a past-tense verb anyways.

So, yes. You've is a proper contraction. But an ill-used and unuseful one.

well the english language is filled with anything BUT useless crap..... *sarcasm* :D

a side note...an example (meaning a few pictures) of a bong cooler can be found here...but I yet have no true "specs" on it yet.

http://eyecannon.com/bong.html

:D

And btw. Awsome post dude! (and all the people that helped out ;)

*edit* Im working on geting details about it so I should have a 'definition' of it for you. Though its pretty obvious how it works from the desc's on the page ;)

Well, I'm an O/C n00b, so this dictionary is great!

Btw, what the heck is a "peltier"? Maybe you can add that to the dictionary...

Dave

Ok, Ill try to help a lil here.
Everything in italics is quoted from Dictionary.com

Reservoir: A receptacle or chamber for storing a fluid.
Used in water-cooling for holding a larger amount of water then the tubing and water pump will hold on their own.

Radiator: A heating device consisting of a series of connected pipes, typically inside an upright metal structure, through which steam or hot water is circulated so as to radiate heat into the surrounding space
As stated, it is used to remove the heat from the water within a water-cooling system.

A full Water cooling system has* to consist of: Water Pump, Water-Block, Tubing, zip-ties (or something to hold the tubing to the barbs), barbs and Radiator.

Heater Core: A heater core is the same thing as a radiator effectively. It is used to remove the heat from the water. Most will use a heater core (from an '86 Chevy Chevette) due to its good capabilities of cooling water.

Hrm... Maybe not the best, but hopefully its a start on some of this you wanted.

Looks good man, nice work!

* Please read, should, as if the system did not, there could be complications of possible immense degrees.

Last edited:
Also added

I no longer have free time to research other terms so if somebody here wants a new term you'll need to research it on your own and post the results here.

Thanks

Here are two terms I was looking for, yesterday:

As best I can tell, the phrase 'failed to POST' means there was no chirpy beep after punching the power-on button.

Stepping: ?

It seems each motherboard has a 'stepping' chip somewhere in NorthBridge. I guess these chips convert a clock's default frequency to various multiples or divisions. Apparently, not all 'stepping chips' are alike, even on the same motherboards (hows that for a guess?)

mmills

From what I've gathered steppings are a certain production run. But I'll need to research it a little just to be sure.

This will be my first dictionary update in the past 7 months... Thanks

Here is another mystery term: rail

usage: My 12v rail is pretty good.

Sounds like a reference to an oscilloscope, but maybe not.

mmills

Here's another contribution:

The mystery (for newbies) numbers for memory tuning. They are always mentioned as x1-x2-x3-x4. For example, 2-3-3-7/

As best I can tell, the following are the correct labels:
X1 = CAS Latency
X2 = RAS-to-CAS Delay
X3 = Row-precharge Delay
X4 = Row-active delay

I've got an NF7-S and they are listed in my BIOS as
X4
X2
X3
X1

Some alternative BIOS must have established the standard order.

mmills

thanks for all the info... Thats gonna be a big help this christmas when I'll finally have time to persue some of the projects I've been wanting to do.

Word yo

Laser Table - an industrial laser cutting process that will quickly and cleanly cut an intricate pattern out of a steel, aluminum or acryllic panel. The laser takes input from a vector drawing generated by a CAD program.

Back