• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which files to backup....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gandalf

Alright, I have a c: and many others, but I am wondering which files I should back up when I format that partition to reinstall the OS?

And I will have to install other programs that I have on other partitions right, becuase the registry will be all out of whack if not?

Are there any programs that will, re enter the registry settings so that I dont have to reinstall everything?

as far as backing up your system, back up pretty much the whole damn C drive. But I'm not sure which OS you're running. Just back up the whole durn thing to be safe. Back in 98 and 99 there was this program, damn, I can't think of the name for it, but anyone who's seen it in stores would recognise it... the box looks like a Tide box. Something like Uninstaller... THAT'S it http://download.com.com/3000-2096-10111864.html?tag=lst-0-1 . You can also try "Ontrack SystemSuite 4.0" (no free trial I know of) both software packages have a featcher that allows you to "move" programs from drive to drive. So I'd do that before backing everything up.

disclaimers:
#1 Uninstaller worked great on a 98 machine... never tried on 2K or XP
#2 SystemSuite 4.0 worked great on one of my machines, and totally screwed up another one of my machines (both running 2K).
#3 Easy Uninstaller 2.0 (also by Ontrack) might do the trick as well (???)

Last edited:
Back