• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modifying w2k splash screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lord_moose

Yeah, yeah, I know... It's only up on my computer for about 3-5 seconds and I'm usually not in the room anyway.... but what application out there allows you to modify this boring screen? And does anyone have any directions on how to do so?

And while I'm thinking about it.... any idea on modifying the "logo" that pops up with the start button, or how about the "Ctrl+Alt+Del" or "shutting down" screens?

That would be cool.

And ofcourse I'm looking for something that costs less then penny if at all possible.

Thanx guys

Ok you want to get a look at what is going on?

Type: boot.ini
into your run box and find the line that ends like this:

"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

and modify it to end like this:

"Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect /SOS

So you will change nothing and will only add the /SOS

then save it and reboot and see if you like

To change the other stuff the easist way is to get a progrem called xteg and tweak with its many plugins

http://www.xteq.com/

I tried the way that Emericana linked to, and it worked great. I also figured out how to change the start menu thing that says what OS your using, I got mine to say Windows 2000 Server.:)

Also.. if you wanna get rid of the bootlogo just add /noguiboot to "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect in boot.ini

It will remove the ability to see blue screens tho.. hmm.. :p

Desmond said:
Also.. if you wanna get rid of the bootlogo just add /noguiboot to "Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect in boot.ini

It will remove the ability to see blue screens tho.. hmm.. :p

Oh yea i'm certainly going to miss those pretty "blue screens of death";) I haven't seen one of those in 2 years lol.

lol this is actually windows 2000 pro. I could make it look like Datacenter if I wanted. I'm working on making all of windows 2000 look just like XP, it's working so far.

FoldingAddict said:
I tried the way that Emericana linked to, and it worked great. I also figured out how to change the start menu thing that says what OS your using, I got mine to say Windows 2000 Server.:)

Dude, how'd you change the start bar like that? that's pretty sweet.

lord_moose said:

Dude, how'd you change the start bar like that? that's pretty sweet.

I used “reshack” to edit the bitmaps used in explorer.exe. I modified the registry and disabled Windows 2000 file protection that was overwriting my changes if I had left it alone. Using this same method, i'm trying to change the shape of the menu but so far no luck.

What exactly did you do with the resource hacker?
In Explorer.exe what bitmaps do you change for that look.

Back