• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8k3ae/8k3a/8k5a2+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

supra33202

What is the difference between Epox 8K3AE and Epox 8K3A?

When/where will Epox 8K5A2+ available?

From what I see on www.epox.com the only differences are the size of the board and the "E" only has 5 pci slots and no leds . Look at thier site you may see something else. By the way I just got my new (refurb) 8k3a from newegg and it doesent have the leds either. I think that is why it was a refurb. The board seems to work fine and I'm debating if I should send it back. Probly will and maybe i'll get lucky and newegg will send me a brand spanking new one. About the 8k5a2 I have no Idea.

Edit Welcome to the forums

i think only the 8k3a+ comes with the LEDs. if you didnt get the plus version, that might be why you dont have it.

You may be right. I did some deeper digging in the manual and it lists the leds as a option. Oh well its still a great board from what I have read and I look forward to getting it going.

How much better do you think the 8K5A will be over the 8K3A if any? Is it just the extra stuff on it that makes it a little better (USB 2.0. NIC, etc.)?

A place called Bunta has thme listed, but no stock. Reasonable price though.

rivercom9 said:
How much better do you think the 8K5A will be over the 8K3A if any? Is it just the extra stuff on it that makes it a little better (USB 2.0. NIC, etc.)?

Epox has been making great OCer mobos for a while now. The added nic, 6chan sound and usb 2.0 are welcome additions. We just have to wait and see what the actual users have to say about it when they start posting. I'm sure it wont be long.

OK, there are a bunch of listings now on Pricewatch. Who is going to try one. I am really trying to hold off for the 8RDA or 8RGA but I am getting bored with the 8k3A. I wonder how "cpu decode" will be treated in the bios this time.

i ordered my 8k5a2+ yesterday. it should be here thursday morning. ill let you guys know how everything goes with it. it was cheap too. only $120, including 2 day shipping.

SpaceRangerJoe said:
i ordered my 8k5a2+ yesterday. it should be here thursday morning. ill let you guys know how everything goes with it. it was cheap too. only $120, including 2 day shipping.

I also caved in and ordered one even though the 8RDA and/or 8K9A should be out sometime next month.

i hope this board doesnt disappoint me. but as long as it works for a while it will be ok. i plan on getting a new mobo when the barton comes out anyway. assuming i quit spending so much money that is. i dont quite understand why the 8k5a is so cheap. i figured it would be at least as much as the 8k3a, and expected it to be more. i mean, it does have onboard lan, usb2.0, and the new southbridge. but whatever. im not complaining. where did you get yours from xgman?

I ordered mine from Mwave. $116 incl 2nd day air. If your board comes in with a bios dated earlier than 7-17, there is a bios on epox.org for the 8k5a2 dated 7-17. There is one there also for the 8RGA+ board, so I guess that one won't be too long from now either.

What highpoint controller does it have on it, 372 or 374? I have been using a promise 133 card on my 8k3a. Which is better?

Back