• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP system files

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smizack

Dead Boomslang collector
Is there any way to reinstall just the system files in XP? I killed my ntoskrnl so this is assuming you can't get into either windows or safemode.

Place your origina XP CD in the CD ROM and boot from it. You will be given an option to repair your system. It won't fix everything, but it's a good start.

fixboot
fixmbr
exit

This'll fix your bootrecord. Because it won't load the NT kernel thingy, that says to me that you've hosed your bootrecord.

You should get an imaging program and image the partition windows is installed on. A program such as Power Quest DriveImage will allow you to restore it to the exact state it was in when you created the partition in just a few minutes time:)

mbigna said:
Place your origina XP CD in the CD ROM and boot from it. You will be given an option to repair your system. It won't fix everything, but it's a good start.

It dosen't have that option. Don't know why...

Oni said:

fixboot
fixmbr
exit

This'll fix your bootrecord. Because it won't load the NT kernel thingy, that says to me that you've hosed your bootrecord.

Nope. Fixing the bootrecord automatically makes it look for the original ntoskrnl.exe by default. I didn't hose my bootrecord anyway, I simply modified the ntoskrnl and saved it incorectly.

The only way to make it not use the loading (ntoskrnl) screen that I'm aware of is under msconfig>Boot.ini>No gui boot.
BUT, I coudn't get into Windows to change that.

Back