• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Capacitor's dying? KT7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rav

I have an older Abit KT7 motherboard, running my 800Mhz Athlon. I was looking at it today to see if a heatsink would fit, when I noticed some of the capacitors near the socket didn't look right. Two of them had brown spots on their tops at the centers (silver area where the X is). The tops also looked like they are bulging outward. The other caps on the board are flat on top and look fine. I'm a bit concerned since I remembered a front page article about bad caps on Abit boards. The board has been stable and even overclocked a bit. Should I be worried? Should I replace this board? What kind of damage would be inflicted if those caps would go?

Thanks.

-Rav

i just had a computer start rebooting here at the office like every 20 minutes and tried all i could think of (isolating it on another circuit, swap out the ps, swap out ram) and then i remembered that article on the front page cause this was an abit VH6 socket 370 board. gutted the system and found 8 bulging caps, and 2 with the brown spots in the middle. I'd be shopping for a new board if i were you.

Back