• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

this is bull!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NoobInside

alright, on my XP 1600+ im getting idle temps of 46c and load temp of 52c. i have applied everything correctly im pretty sure, because i had to redo it and clean everything with acetone when redoing the AS3. i did it exactly as the instructions said when applying AS3 and the heatsink. i screwed in the HS finger tight.. now this is at stock speeds and voltage... overclocked i run 51c idle and around 57c load... i have no idea why it is this high, even though i am using a 48.5 cfm YS-tech. it still shouldnt be that high... im running a huge square room fan right into the side of the case, and my A/C is on, but its still a little warm in the room. i am getting sick and tired of this and maybe just get an SLK-800 or something.

Are you truly getting that high of a temp? Use a thermal probe to measure the temp more accurately. Also, maybe the HSF needs a little more pressure to be more effective. Also, has the AS3 already set in for a few days?

NoobInside said:
alright, on my XP 1600+ im getting idle temps of 46c and load temp of 52c. i have applied everything correctly im pretty sure, because i had to redo it and clean everything with acetone when redoing the AS3. i did it exactly as the instructions said when applying AS3 and the heatsink. i screwed in the HS finger tight.. now this is at stock speeds and voltage... overclocked i run 51c idle and around 57c load... i have no idea why it is this high, even though i am using a 48.5 cfm YS-tech. it still shouldnt be that high... im running a huge square room fan right into the side of the case, and my A/C is on, but its still a little warm in the room. i am getting sick and tired of this and maybe just get an SLK-800 or something.

Hey i have the same H/S as you with the retail fan that came with it.. i think it is a 45CFM fan.. Anyways.. Make sure its level.. the H/S that is.. i've noticed that its pretty easy to not have it totally flat on it.. So if ya think something is wrong ya might want to take it off and see how it was seated by checking the goop on the Core.

Also for some strange reason that board i feel reports way to high..

I cant comment on what my temp is right now cause at the moment my swiftech H/S is in the other main rig and i have an older ThermoEngine on it now and its way to hot like 47 C if i try to clock the CPU (2000+) at 1400 hehe.. So at the moment i have it running at like a gig for the time being to keep the heat down till i get a new water pump for the main so i can throw the swiftech back in teh 2nd rig with the epox board.

I have the same problem too!!

my idle temp is 58c, load is 63c.

It has to be a false reading, the exact same rig with only a different mobo reports the temps as 38 idle and 42 Load.

hey known killer, can you see any of the mounting screws' thread between the HS base and the silver standoff? also, gotey are you overclocked? my overclocked temps @ 1.753 ghz are like 51c idle and 60c load.

NoobInside said:
hey known killer, can you see any of the mounting screws' thread between the HS base and the silver standoff? also, gotey are you overclocked? my overclocked temps @ 1.753 ghz are like 51c idle and 60c load.

Yeah i can see them.. Not a good way to tell if its even that way cause the motherboard will bow out a little from the heatsink. Best way is too look at the heatsink and socket from the top down... Meaning hold the motherboard up with the back to you and check how its fitting from there.. You can see how level the heatsink is to the socket from each side. THough i did something kinda dangerous on my Abit board using that heatsink.. I made a steel back brace that covers the back of the socket.. THe way it is made is by having the screws from the standoffs go threw the motherbaord as they normally do and have a nylon washer(thick washer) between the back of the motherboard and the metal brace.And then i use a metal nut on the back. Doing this added straigth to the PCB so it wouldnt bow and keep the heatsink flat on the CPU core.. It helped.

Though the scary part is that the back pins to the socket are very close to the metal back brace.. So close i can only get a peice of paper in between the pins and the brace. Man if the brace touched the pins, it prob would be like pop! there goes a CPU and possably the motherboard as well..

As for the other question i'm not overclocking the epox board at all yet.. Right ow as i stated before its running underclocked intill i add a different better H/S. Its a Amd XP 2000+ running at 1 gig heheh... Hell i'm using the lowest divider i can with the board which is 6 to run it that low and the voltage is only at 1.65.. All that just to keep the heat down for now... its running at like 40-47 C idle..

u guys do know that the 8k3a or + boards read on cpu die temps?? so its usually 8-10 deg higher then other board with temps taken from a mobo sensor under the socket. those temps are perfectly okay

temps

I was just going to say the same thing about the internal diode temps...

Also for really good cooling with the MCX462, you should make yourself go deaf at an early age and get a 68 or 80 cfm delta fan that's 38mm thick, not 25mm thick.

I have read conflicting threads in various message boards about the 8K3A reading from an internal diode, or the thermister.

If its an internal reading, then I am not gonna sweat it, seems about right....17c higher

thanks for the info gents!

Back