• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

xp--> nt4.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AltecXP

i have xp pro on my c drive and its formated as ntfs, now can i put nt4.0 on my d: drive as either fat 32 or ntfs it doesnt see the c: drive as a supported format(i know 4.0 doesnt support ntfs) but if i put d: as fat32 how can i install it?

NT4 certainly DOES support NTFS! :)

Seeing as your current C: drive is already formatted NTFS, I think you should put NT on an NTFS partition as well. Just seems better. That, and I'm not sure if NT4 will be able to see the NTFS partition if it's on a FAT partition.

NT will not read fat32. It also wont read NTFS from WinXP since WinXP uses NTFS5.0 and NT uses NTFS4.0. If you upgrade your WINNT to use the lastest service pack, it can read NTFS5, but cannot write in NTFS5.

well how can i installit to my d:drive if c: is ntfs5?

AltecXP said:
well how can i installit to my d:drive if c: is ntfs5?

just install NT to the d:drive and intall all the service packs. When you go back to xp, you'll be able to read the ntfs4 because xp can still read ntfs4, just can't write in ntfs4. WinNt install on d: drive will be able to read ntfs5 if you upgrade to all the service packs, but wont be able to write in ntfs5.

I tried installing 2000 Advanced server after XP Pro was installed and it wouldnt dual boot right. I had to install 2000 Advanced Server first and then install XP Pro.

I wish i had win2k advanced server. I had win2k but i formatted yesterday and installed xp. I wish i could've reinstalled 2k but my friend burnt my win2k cd with his cigarette and the cd wont work anymore.

Actually, i wish i had win2k datacenter server, LOL/

durring installation it tells me that nt needs t o put certain files n c: but cant cuz c: has ntfs5

AltecXP said:
durring installation it tells me that nt needs t o put certain files n c: but cant cuz c: has ntfs5

nt is trying to configure the ntldr/boot.ini to dual boot, in order to do this, nt4.0 has to install its' boot files onto the system partition. It can't do this, because xp is running in ntfs5 while nt4.0 (obviously has no service files because it's not installed) is ntfs4 and not ntfs5. There's nothing you can do unless you convert ntfs5 back to fat32 which you can only do with partition magic 7, but in order to convert it, you need to have less then 2 gigs on it since it 1st converts it to fat16 then to fat32.

so i have to reformat and start from scratch? thats ok, im assumeing that nt will run fine w/ my 1.6mhz intel 256mb sdram SB live! ati 128 rage ultra and linksys100tx lan card, i plan to use it just for vs6 and the xp pro for vs.net will office xp run ok on nt or should i use 2000 or 97? and should 8gb be enough room or should i go for 10-15? nt will be for school(same os and vs as school) and xp will be for my own use? is their any problems w/ this set up? oh c: is a single 20gb drive and D: E: F: and Z: are currently two 11.7 gb and one 13.8 gb drive and z: is 500mb u usefor a page file for xp d-z are partition off of a 40gb drive. will my cd burner work if i install nero? and will my usb zip 100 work at all?

a lot of software's are made for specific operating systems. For instance, if you try to play red alert on a non win9x system, it ownt work. Some software come in options for win9x, and some for winnt. Refer to the back of the box the software came in and check whether or not it can be used on the os you want it on. Also, yes you'd have to re-format to dual boot winnt. There is a downfall though, you'd have to use fat16 for your winxp because winnt can't use fat32. Don't bother using fat16, as the largest partition size is only 2GB. Just install nt on your other computer.

i gave my other comp to my dad for a fam. comp, so i just have the dell, will it work ok if i install nt 1st then xp?im not big on games and yje ones i do have run good in xp, i dont have the package for nt cause i bought it at a garage sale w/ win95 and 3.11 for $20 (good deal in my opinion :) ) but they did come w/ keys.

yes, you can install nt 1st then xp. This is because xp can read all of the file systems that nt uses. However, your nt wont read xp if your xp is using ntfs until you upgrade to the latest service pack in NT.

ok whats the biggest hd nt can see it said that 20gb is to big

well, with win2k, the only way for it to work with 1 full 20gig hd, is to let the win2k cd take care of the partitioning and let it format in ntfs4. With fat16, the biggest partition size is 2GB. So lets say you want the full 20GB using fat16, you have to create 10 2GB partitions, so you'll have 10 different drive letters all 2GB each.

Back