• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

|~ Need Help!!! ~|

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rotary-Motion

hi all

thank you for dropping in!

Ok, here is my plight, my dad has had someone mess with his comper and partition his hard drive while the system was loaded?

how he did this i have no idea? and why he did it he says this:

"It was to big the drive or the files? so he changed a 3gig hd to 2 partitions a 2 gig and a 1 gig?? why i dont know but this guy fits networks for a living!"

deos it work better for this or not?

and can anyone tell me how to put it back to a 3gig without wiping it all and reloading?

any ideas on this i dont want to sound thick but would it be better for this, i think not if you got 3gig me i would want it all! not loose 1gig for backup or something...

thx............

partitions

Partition Magic or another such program is how the partitioning was done without the need to format.

NTFS is more space-efficient with smaller than 4GB partitions because of smaller cluster sizes.

It's better to have at least 2 partitions so that if you need to format the OS, data can still be preserved on the other partition.

Re: partitions

Arkaine23 said:
Partition Magic or another such program is how the partitioning was done without the need to format.

NTFS is more space-efficient with smaller than 4GB partitions because of smaller cluster sizes.

It's better to have at least 2 partitions so that if you need to format the OS, data can still be preserved on the other partition.

Hi

he is running windoze ME deos it run NTFS file system? and how would i look to find out if it is? to check...

so with 2 partitions the second would not be touched if i formatted to reload a clean install?

So why do you think this guy did this? the 2nd 1 gig has nothing on it!!!

thank you.

RE LAST:

i only found this out due to it was about the time when he did this that it moved the drive letter on the cd-rom to "E" and now my dad has problems with loading up discs to run?

i'm trying to find out if this has caused the errors that keep popping up? and if the cd-rom is dying or not?

cheers

partitions

WinME uses Fat32. Fat32 is also more efficient with smaller partitions, but 4GB or less is the most efficient it gets. Go ahead and keep documents, installers, and media files in D: They'll be safe if you were to format and reinstall an OS on C:

Not sure why your cd-rom would be acting up... drive-letter assignment couldn't possibly be the cause IMO.

hi

thx.

If this guy used a certain program to partition could i use any program to put it back or will it have to be the same one he used?

cheers...

Back