• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

KT3Ultra and Athlon XP 2000+ incompatibility

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hubert

Registered
So, I have a KT3 Ultra, and it refuses to start with the 2000+ Athlon XP. Strangely it works if I load the BIOS Setup Defaults, having the FSB on 100.
But it gives up when I raise the FSB above 110 !

The processor is OK, I tried it with another KT3Ultra board, also my system worked well with a 1800+ Athlon XP.

This is the second 2000+ I try with it, the first one died after 10 seconds, aparently with no reason. (FSB 100, no smoke burning marks)

Also I got a Thermatake Volcano 7+ cooler set to 6000 rpm, so the cooling isn't really an issue here.

I will try a BIOS flash now, but I don't think it will solve the problem. Should I try to ask for changing it ?

Are you using the .15 or the .13 I have heard of this problem. A lot of people say that clearing your cmos will solve it. No first hand experiance though.

BEER COUNT: :beer: :beer:

:eh?:

Oh, the processor is .15 Palomino, no fancy Tbred :D

I didn't succed in flashing the BIOS either, the system locks up after a few seconds.
Maybe I will try to flash it this afternoon with a 1500+.

Thanks for giving me another hope ! (maybe the flash will get it work)

I suggest visiting here and get the bios setup from the stickies and you will have very few problems.

thanks

Tiger said:
I suggest visiting here and get the bios setup from the stickies and you will have very few problems.

The flashed BIOS just didn't solved the problem :(
But thanks for the link, I found another victim there ...
I still hope that the problem mentioned above isn't entirely the mobo's fault.
Even that I noticed that there are some missing multipliers in my BIOS menu: there is no setting between 10.5 and 14.
I don't have my CPU unlocked, so it not suppose to matter, still it seems strange to me.

100 FSB

I had the exact same problems.. I had Fuzzy Logic auto push the FSB, etc. I could NOT get the board to perform. The problem went away when I set the memory correctly. I went straight to 133 FSB in the BIOS, pushed the VCore to 1.85 and the memory voltage to 2.8 volts. I can post the exact settings later if you would like but they are the same as the previous posted sticky.

Good luck and watch the heat! You'll probably need a better processor heat sink..

Steve

Back