• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows update won't start

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glorious100

Registered
Hi
When I'm trying to update my winxp system via the windows update site, it will not start. If I click on 'scan for updates' i only get 'Windows Update is looking for available updates... 0% complete'.
Do I have to change some settings?

You'll need to make sure that you are NOT using the cache or proxy server of your ISP. To check for this...Open IE | Tools | Internet Options | Select the "Connections" tab and click the "LAN Settings" button. In the "LAN Settings" dialog box, make sure that all three available check boxes are cleared. In other words, disable the following options:

"Automatically detect settings"
"Use automatic configuration script"
"Use a proxy server for your LAN"

Close down IE and reboot if you made any changes to the above settings. Then re-run Windows Update and Scan for updates...it should now reach 100%. ;)

Last edited:
Since I'm using cable I can not disable "use automatic configuration script". If I do that I can't connect to the net at all.
Maybe there is another setting I have to enable/disable.

How long have you left it at the update page? It may take quite a while depending on how things are at Microsofts end.

David

David said:
How long have you left it at the update page? It may take quite a while depending on how things are at Microsofts end.

David

My thoughts exactly...I was at the MS Update site yesterday and I had alot of problem trying to get updated...Had to go back several times, and the last time they seemed to have the trouble all cleared up...everything moved right along as expected...
Just keep trying and eventually things seem to smooth out...
:cool:

Back