• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how the!?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Intrepid

I have this side fan running in my case, it's ben running for a while now and this is how it's power is set up. I found this out when I tried to test it on my micro atx psu when thte side fel off riping a wire out of the fan, i looked at it snad man...this just aint right! but it was worknig fine in my case! And there is no speical reciever plug I know this beccasue I hocked it up myself! The molex wireing for the fan I did nto look at however...

Yep, you've accidently done the 7 volt mod to it. (though backwards from the usual configuration)

If you plugged the fan in the correct way, using yellow to red, and black to black, it'll get faster, louder and push more air.

Oh no, I don't mean that the power supply plugin is set wrong, I mean that is what is refered to as the 7 volt mod, by plugging in the fan wires that way to a power supply plug. Mixing +5 and +12 gives you +7 volts (sounds screwy, but it's true).

If it's a molex plug on the fan wires, then you can remove the metal pins and rearrange them in the plastic to return it to 12 volt operation.

I mean there is a yellow and red wire from the PSU giving the fan juice, no neutral or ground whatsoever on the fan...I moded it so it is corectly wired now and it works again, why it stoped working, after it WAS working like that i dunno....

Alright, I'll try to explain this...
Usually, your fan would be running at 12 volts (0 and +12, a difference of 12 volts). The way you had it plugged in, it was using the +5 and +12 wires, so it was running at 7 volts (+5 and +12, a difference of only 7 volts). Your fan doesn't run _optimally_ at that temperature, but it does run, slower, so therefore less air movement and less noise, as diggrr said.
-Cipherpunk

Back