• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to remove Network icon on win2k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Yodums

I forgot how to do this. If my topic wasn't clear, I want to take off the 'Network Places' icon on the desktop.

Dums

In win2k if you remove the clients, services, and protocols under network settings for the conection you are using or it may have to be for all your conections, then after you reboot the network places icon should go away.

In my experience, as long as you want internet access, the net work places icon will be on the desktop.

Last edited:
In addition to using TweakUI like Oni suggested, you can also remove the "My Network Places" icon from the desktop by using the Group Policy Editor...Start | Run | Type gpedit.msc | User Configuration | Administrative Templates | Desktop | Right click "Hide My Network Places icon on desktop" and select "Properties" | Under the "Setting" tab, select "Enabled" (you may need to log off and then back on for the change to take effect).

I believe this change adds a DWORD to two specific Registry keys...

Key=HKEY_CURRENT_USER | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

New Value= 01000000
Value Name= NoNetHood

Key=HKEY_USERS | S-1-5-21-1409082233-2146866087-1801674531-1108 | Software | Microsoft | Windows | CurrentVersion | Policies | Explorer

New Value= 01000000
Value Name= NoNetHood ;)

Last edited:
My man redduc you're correct once again! I did your method since I posted here waiting for a gpedit.msc change or a registry change since I don't want to download proggies.

Thanks for all the help people.

Yodums

Back