• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

redrogue14

Registered
ok so i overclock myfsb and the highest ive gotten was at 144 and thien its not stable anymore why is that how do i make it go higher?? by the voltage or what? when do i set the ratio to 4:5 and what is the diff between 1:1 and 4:5 and should it be set to turbo when i overclock? i have a 400watt power supply amd athlon 1.7 xp 512 samsung ddr ram pc-2700 what setter should i set it to exactly from top to botttom in my bios advanced menu fro those who have an asus a7v333? please explain it well. thanks.

stealth

If it is not stable at 144 FSB, you could try raising the voltage. However, first you should check your temps and see if that could be a problem. What are your ambient, idle, and load temps? What heatsink and fan are you using? The ratio you mention, 1:1 and 4:5 are FSB to memory speed ratios. In other words, at 1:1, the speed of the memory and the FSB are equal. At 4:5, FSB is at 133 and memory is at 166mhz (pc2700 speeds). 4:5 may produce higher performance, but use 1:1 to provide yourself with more overclocking room if your RAM is holding you back. Whether to use turbo or not depends on your RAM. If it is stable with turbo, then use it. If not, then go back to optimal. The turbo setting sets the RAM timings to the most aggressive settings. Some RAM can handle these settings as high FSB speed, others cannot. They do improve performance, but only for RAM. Hope this helps.

i have a stick of pc2700 its a samsung 512mb ddr pc2700 will that do with the 4:5 when i do the 4:5 it hang and never makes it to the post. and i have that option (4:5) only like up to like 143 then it will only give me 1:1 above 143fsb

You're correct about the cpu:memory 4:5 ratio only working upto about 143 or 144FSB, not sure which one. I guess it was set that way to avoid unnecessary no post/boots and even damage to your memory since the memory speed would have gotten too high at high FSB speeds.

For example. 160FSB would mean that the memory would be running at 200mhz at 4:5 ratio.

but wouldnt that work because my memory is 333mhz why wont it work if its at 200mhz if it was set to 4:5 ratio which still hasnt worked yet.

redrogue14 said:
but wouldnt that work because my memory is 333mhz why wont it work if its at 200mhz if it was set to 4:5 ratio which still hasnt worked yet.

Remember that the 200mhz speed is DDR, so it will be pumped to 400mhz. That's considerably over your memory's 333mhz rating. The 4 : 5 ratio will not work at FSB speeds over a certain level, I believe its 144.

Back